Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Carefresh Bedding with baking soda?

JamesG

Cavy Slave
So, with everyone's help here (Thanks everyone!) I was able to get some good hay, good food, and some other great things for my Guinea Pig, Pinto.

I've been using Carefresh bedding, which I am happy with. This time, however, I ended up with some sort of Carefresh bedding with baking soda. Has anyone used this? Any problems?

Guineamama2000

Cavy Slave
Hello there. I've been using the Carefresh bedding since the first day we brought home our Jeffy Jeff! That's all we use. I think they've recently added the baking soda to their Carefresh bedding. But I think it's only for smell and absorption purposes. Our Jeffy doesn't have a problem with it. But if you want more info you could call the company that makes the Carefresh. I'm sure the customer care number is on the bag and that they'd be able to answer any questions you'd have.

JamesG

Cavy Slave
Alright, thank you. I was considering doing this, but I imagine I'd be on hold for 20 minutes for a "no guarantee" response. It worries me a bit, but so far he doesn't seem effected at all! Eh, I don't see what it would hurt. I'll give em' a call tomorrow.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
We experimented with it. Poured vinegar on it to see if we got a reaction and there was zero bubbling. I don't think there is enough in it for it to be a problem. We even tried it with the "dusty" stuff in the bottom of the bag and nothing happened.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
We've also used the planet Petco paper litter and liked it. :)

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I normally love Carefresh, but last time we bought it, it stunk to high heaven! We sent them a note on Faceback and took it back to the store, where they refunded our money with no problem. I was just at Global Pet Expo and the Carefresh people told me there was a problem with a big batch so many people experienced that issue (I had noticed that on Facebook too). Thankfully it's over now, so I can switch back from Kaytee, which is too light and flies all over. Actually. Carefresh now has bedding that are specific to species, i.e. hamster, guinea pig, etc. They were at the Expo, but I don't know if they're on sale already or coming out later this year. The guinea pig version has larger pieces so it won't go flying out of cages as easily.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.