Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Canuck - controversial

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
How do you feel about Canuck?

It really annoys my beaver, whenever he sees it on TV he starts to make this horrible grumbling noise and jumps up and down like a lunatic.

Any thoughts from you Canadians out there?

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I don't mind the term Canuck. Actually I use it more then most people I know.

Now that I don't feel like I'm hijacking anyone's thread, what are your thoughts on honey beer? Does it taste any better then normal beer. I don't want to waste $25 on a case of something I may not drink.

Edit: That was quick. Where did you find a beaver rescue? Can I have it's babies?

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
Firstly- what is Canuck - I've never heard the word before? I thought it might be a type of beaver?
I love honey beer - but I do adore honey. It isn't generally overpowering, but my husband doesn't like honey or honey beer very much either. Mind, I wouldn't water the garden with what he drinks!
My current favourite is a scottish pale ale called Innis and Gunn, it's aged in old whisky barrels and has a slight whisky flavour to it - rather unusual.

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
How did you hurt your tail bone?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I am so very confused....

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
I am so sorry, Piglet!
Sabriel and I had a fit of the giggles on two entirely separate threads, one about parrots and one about beavers, and thought we'd better be polite and move ourselves out of everyones way! Sadly, we are still carrying on numerous odds and ends of conversations, the only consolation is that I am on flu medicine and can't weaven spell weesal and I think sabriel may just be slightly wonky as well - something to do with a sore tail? Odd, that on a guinea-pig forum...
How's the revision going?

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Canuck an informal term for Canadian.

Is honey beer sweet then? I may like it. American beer is said to taste like water so it might not harm your plants.

I slipped and fell. I fell right on my tail bone. I'm a little bit clumsy.

To help Piglet out here, Weasel and I were hijacking threads with Canadian and beer refernces a bit to much so she decided to start a thread about Canucks so we could leave everybody else's threads alone.

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
I never knew that! Is it rude?

I think American beer tastes like water which has already been drunk - at least the stuff we get over here does.

I did that once, when I was a little kid. It never healed properly, and now I sort of lollop a bit, instead of gliding elegantly like a lady, when I walk. Have it checked out if takes more than a week.

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
See - I'm being good now: Sabriel, have you ever considered getting your husband a fluffy suit to wear? Then everyone could join in - AND if you were lucky you could charge people to look at him in his cage!

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
She could make him a a suit out of all that hair.

If anybody would like to see a picture of my pet beaver, here he is: (broken link removed)

Were you aware that beaver is a derogatory term in America? Is it the same there?

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
My husband's hair is almost waist length, so I think he's fluffy enough.

Canuck is not a rude term. Most of us wear it like a badge of honour. Like syaing "eh?"

I went to the doctor already. he says there is nothing I can do. I just have to take it easy, refrian from bending over and lifting things and take advil twice a day.

Edit: Beaver is a derogitory term for what? It's just an animal over hear.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
He is not making you wear a donut?

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Nope. I can sit fine. I just can't bend over or go from sitting to standing too fast. It hurt more to lay down on the examineing table then it did to be examined.

I try to find comfy seats though. Plastic ones make me sore after a while right now.

It's only bruised. Not broken.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Ok, lets just ignore some of the stuff written! Weasal, sorry I read your pm quickly this morning so I didn't get to reply. Revision is ok, doing geography and maths at the mo. I'll do the rest of chemistry tomorrow evening

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I have my chemistry final on Monday- I am having trouble remembering my polyatomic ions. Also going from a chemical eqation (sp) to the written form, but only when there is a roman numeral involved.

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
slap_maxwell said:
He is not making you wear a donut?
How on earth do you WEAR a donut? Don't you get very sticky in your nether regions? Is that how it stays on, or do you put it in your knickers?

Sabriel - I'm glad it's not serious, but don't you get the feeling we all write different versions of the same language?

As far as I am aware, a beaver is a big furry thing with a wierd tail that dams up rivers, and can tap-dance. What does it mean over there? Sorry got lost - is it rude North or South of the border?

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
Piglet said:
Ok, lets just ignore some of the stuff written! Weasal, sorry I read your pm quickly this morning so I didn't get to reply. Revision is ok, doing geography and maths at the mo. I'll do the rest of chemistry tomorrow evening

Good luck, and if you can't do a bit of a maths question, and you need the answer for the next bit, just write "I assume the answer is 10" (or whatever will work easily) and carry on. They will give you all the method and answer marks for the remainder of the question.

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
slap_maxwell said:
I have my chemistry final on Monday- I am having trouble remembering my polyatomic ions. Also going from a chemical eqation (sp) to the written form, but only when there is a roman numeral involved.

Everyone else, especially Piglet - don't even bother reading this!

The Roman numeral refers ONLY to the element with a positive variable oxidation state: e.g. copper(II) cloride is (Cu2+) (Cl-)2
nitric(V) acid is H(+1) (for the acid) N(+5) O(-2)3
The N has +5 because thats what the Roman numeral says, H is always +1 unless it's with a Group 1 metal, and you add oxygens till you get an overall charge of zero.

Going backwards: KMnO4.
K is always +1, O is always -2, so you have got (1 x +1) + (4 x -2) = -7
So, the Mn must be +7 to make it zero overall, i.e.
potassium manganate(VII)

polyatomics:
end in ~ide; single element ion, non-metallic, e.g. chloride Cl-
end in ~ate; one element and oxygen, sulfate = SO4 2-

Learn
carbonate CO3 2-
phosphate PO4 3-
nitrate NO3 -

the rest you have to work out from the numerals.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
It is mostly things like Ammonium and Acetate that are hard. And the acids I have to learn, too.

I think the way that we have learned it (it may be baclwards) is to take the charge of the cation and the number of subscripts, and multiplty those. Then there is something else you do (division) and you get the roman numeral.

For going from chemical to written form, we use the criss-cross method, crossing the two charges to form the subscripts.

Access

Cavy Slave
weaseldropping said:
I think American beer tastes like water which has already been drunk - at least the stuff we get over here does.
You have to stay away from the big-name commercial brands.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.