Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Can't Find Pigs To Rescue??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pumpkin_RIP

Cavy Slave
I'm thinking about adopting another guinea pig, but I don't know how to find a shelter! Any help on how to find a shelter near me?

steve_and_pigs

Cavy Slave
petfinder.com has a zip code field in their search. Search for "small & furry", breed "guinea pig", plus your zip code. Many of the listings are from rescues.

Search your local craigslist.org city website. Search for "guinea pig" in "for sale" and "community". Many rescues/shelters post on craigslist.

Also do Google searches. Search for "your city" and "animal shelter", "humane society" and then "animal services".

Pumpkin_RIP

Cavy Slave
ok, thanks so much!! I really want to save a piggie....I just need to make my cage a bit bigger, and convince my mom. Wish me luck, she doesn't think we need another piggie, even though we only have one and I think she's really lonely.

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
Please be patient when looking for another piggy to adopt. I was calling rescues, watching craigslist.com and checking with local shelters. I was not going to buy a piggy from a pet store. It took a few weeks, but I was able to find a piggy on this forum, actually I adopted 2 from the same lady. We had to drive 3 1/2 hours to meet her, but Cerk and Tribble are worth it. We love them so much already. Just please keep looking and you'll be rewarded with a great piggy to adopt!❤️

Daphne

Cavy Slave
Pumpkin- where are you located?

quirkypiggie

Cavy Slave
EVERYONE!
I was looking for two sows, but couldn't find any.
I checked out the shelter in Auburn, Foggy Creek Cavy Rescue.
The little guys there are amazing!
They had a few girls, but I feel head over heels in love with two little boys.
Charlie and Merry.
I am going to be meeting them half way in Olympia in two weeks.
Thanks so much for the help!!
Now i just need to figure out everything else!!
Decisions, Decisions!!

:D

socal805

Cavy Slave
EVERYONE!
I was looking for two sows, but couldn't find any.
I checked out the shelter in Auburn, Foggy Creek Cavy Rescue.
The little guys there are amazing!
They had a few girls, but I feel head over heels in love with two little boys.
Charlie and Merry.
I am going to be meeting them half way in Olympia in two weeks.
Thanks so much for the help!!
Now i just need to figure out everything else!!
Decisions, Decisions!!

That is wonderful! I am so happy that you have an open mind. Often I think that when people say that they can't find pigs to rescue it is because they are unwilling to wait it out or to open their minds to the many different possibilities that are out there. Please let us know when you get your little pigs.

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
My boys are so great. I have 6 in all and love them so much. If you have any questions about boys let me know. Good luck with them.

Sammy and Peanut

Cavy Slave
I can't find any places in South Jersey. We can't go to North Jersey, and we can't use anything on the internet since my mom is scared to do the private meeting thing. She says that you can never be too safe. Any suggestions for South Jersey are good!

Pumpkin_RIP

Cavy Slave
I'm located in Gainseville, Virginia.

MissGinger

Cavy Slave
Im still looking for a Guinea pig in New York.
I really want one close by Staten Island,Brooklyn,Queens.

quirkypiggie

Cavy Slave
My boys are so great. I have 6 in all and love them so much. If you have any questions about boys let me know. Good luck with them.
Is there anything that I need to know? Anything that they need that girls don't? ie: I read that with boys you should have two of EVERYTHING.

I am getting them on Sunday!
Woot!

smartypants

Cavy Slave
I agree with you. I do not have any piggies yet because I'm trying to learn all I can about them before I adopt. When I was first thinking about getting a guinea pig, I didn't know anywhere else to get them besides a pet store. Then I found this site, and I learned so much about piggies and pet stores and rescues. I live in a big city, but there are no guinea pig rescues here. There is a pound and a humane society, but from their websites I have gathered that they don't take small animals due to overcrowding issues. The closest shelter to my zip code on petfinder that had guinea pigs was in a whole different state! Also, I checked craigslist for my area, and nothing. But I refused to give up. I finally found the website of a humane society in a nearby city. It's only 45 minutes away from me and they have piggies! There is also a shelter in my state that is about 3 hours away from where I live, but they will drive the piggies that you wish to adopt to you (after your adoption application has been approved, of course). So do not give in and buy piggies from a pet store! They are out there! You might have to drive a short distance or do some extra research to find a rescue, but there are shelters and rescues out there, closer than you think, that have many piggies in need!

wiggley_narco

Cavy Gazer
Good job, smartypants! I'm glad you were so smart and responsible about getting a GP. Congrats to you! :)

smartypants

Cavy Slave
Aww, thanks wiggley! I was the same way when getting my hamster... I try to be a responsible pet owner. I have known lots of people that were irresponsible with their pets and it angers me to no end! I try to avoid being like that at all costs! Pets are just as important as children to me. Don't even get me started on irresponsible parents! :melodrama

socal805

Cavy Slave
Is there anything that I need to know? Anything that they need that girls don't? ie: I read that with boys you should have two of EVERYTHING.

I am getting them on Sunday!
Woot!

Yayyy! I am so glad that you are adopting! Make sure that you post pics for us all. If you have 2 of everything you should be good to go, make sure your cage is nice and roomy and they will be happy little guys!

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
With boys it's a good practice to do a monthly rear end cleaning with a Qtip and mineral oil. If you need more details pm me and I'll be happy to go into more details for you. Good luck with your soon to be piggies!

luvsgiraffes

Cavy Slave
I love reading this thread and seeing the happy stories that people have about getting their piggies.

I just wanted to say incase someone didnt say it that you should call the shelter and ask if they have piggies. A lot of shelters I called had some but did not place them on the website.

Pet finder is a good resource... also, if you just type "guinea pig adoption (insert city here)" into google a few results might come up that are not in pet finder.

Good luck everyone with adopting piggies!

lovelola

Cavy Slave
Im still looking for a Guinea pig in New York.
I really want one close by Staten Island,Brooklyn,Queens.

theres a great shelter in brooklyn by the name of sean casey animal rescue. i've gotten three of my piggies there and they are all wonderful. he rescues all types of animals from shelters and animal hospitals in the nyc area, especially from the kill shelters. it's located in the prospect park area if you're still interested.

1sttimepiggie

Cavy Slave
Ok firstlet me say I am not disagreeing with the if you can't find a pig look harder, but I live in northern AR and have been searching for several months.I still can't find anything near by maybe one of you could help me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.