Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Canary Hay??

Irishmoon

Cavy Slave
Having 5 piggies I have been searching and searching for hay that I can buy in bulk. I recently found a farmer who grows a Brome, Canary, Timothy mix. Would this be ok for the piggies? I know that Brome and Timothy are ok but I have not found anything on here about Canary grass hay. From what I understand it's normally only grown in Minnesota and Wisconsin so maybe that's why I haven't seen anything on it? Please let me know, I can get 5 50 lb bales for the price of 1 96oz bag from the store. Thanks.

I've fed Reeds Canary Grass in the past and they loved it. Planning to go back to it soon because my new bale of Brome is irritating my allergies terribly. Its a grass hay thus safe to feed.

Reed canary grass is a terribly weedy invasive species. I would not support any farmer who is growing it, as it easily escapes the field and enters natural areas, thus taking over any native grass species. Once established in an area, it's then near impossible to get rid of.

But, that's just my two cents. I would guess the hay is okay for piggy consumption.

That's what I have been reading about Canary grass. This farmer doesn't actually plant it. He just plants Timothy and Brome together for his horses and he always gets Canary growing and can't get rid of it. Glad to know my piggies can have it, the farmer is more than happy to share!

Hey LY is it actually true that Canary grass is safe for guinea pigs? Also have you ever heard of June hay??? A local farmer has bales that are Canary, timothy and june hay but I cannot find out what June hay is...

Canary is fine. I have no idea what June grass/June hay is. Never heard of that one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.