Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Can guinea pigs have seperation anxiety issues

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
The reason I ask is Jasmine seems very needy and once in a while will cry for no reason at all until I pick her up almost like a baby would. Once I pick her up she stops crying and purrs big time. Physically she's fine and she's eatting, drinking and going to the bathroom fine. None of my other three guinea pigs are like this.

Maybe some pigs are bigger cuddlers and more connected to their owner, I guess it could be possible. My pig Sammy gets SUPER upset when I take Cody out of the cage, it will be hard on Sammy when Cody dies because Cody is 2 years older than Sam.

Last edited:
I think so if I take Cinna away for even a second and Gin-Gin can't see him he'll squeal like he's dying.

This hasn't happened with me and my girls... but if I separate the girls from one another, it's like their worlds are crashing down.

I suppose she could have bonded with you, like my girls are bonded with each other.

Thanks everyone for your input.

My Chester was a solo pig for a year after his brother died. His cage sits alongside my desk and in the following year, he became bonded to me like I never would have expected. If I went away for more than three days, he would hide in his cozy, virtually stop eating, and exhibit signs of depression. Within 24 hrs. after I returned home, all was well once again in Chester's world.

After I built him a large cage, it became even more apparent that he needed a cage mate. Fortunately, it was love at first sight and he and Maya have been quite happy together. He is still quite bonded to me, but not to a degree that it concerns me.

Thanks. It doesn't happen all the time, but maybe two or three times a day and once in a while at night if she is restless, she will cry out to me until I come get her, wrap her up in a blanket and lay with her until she does fall asleep.

Jasmine sounds a lot like Poofters. Crackle and Poofters are extremely bonded with my husband and me. With my job, I'm able to do a lot of my work at home, so I'm with the girls a lot. Also, my husband works only four days a week. So we're around Crackle and Poofters a lot. Now if we're both gone for more than four hours, Crackle and Poofters act like we've been gone for days. They move things around in their pen and give us the most reproachful looks when we get home. Crackle is mostly bonded with me, and Poofters with my husband. When he comes home from work, he has to see her right away or else she moves the litter box and lies down behind it sulking. Then when he picks her up she purrs and makes bubbling sounds. She also makes sounds like she's talking and telling him about her day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.