Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other Cage for parakeets?

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
I'm asking this on behalf of my friend. Her family currently owns 3 parakeets, all of which were bought on a 'whim' by her mother(who is quite the free spirirt). While the animals have not had a luxurious life(their cage is too small, and they rarely get to fly outside of it), they've always had food and water, and companionship, and none of them have been sick, so I've kept to myself because I'm not much of a bird expert. HOWEVER, they are soon getting another keet from their cousin, and four parakeets in this cage is TOO small. My question is, does anyone have any ideas on how to build a parakeet cage? Would they prefer tall or long? Is there a way to make a pullout litter tray to make the cleaning easier? Help!

Alusdra

Cavy Slave
Long is better than tall for 'keets, assuming you mean budgies. (Other types of parakeets include red-rumped, Indian ring-necked, quaker/monk, linolated, etc.) For four budgies, probably I would say a cage 3'lx2'wx3't would be best so they can fly around, etc. Probably you won't be able to find such a cage... or if you do it will be heinously expensive. Perhaps if you got two good 16"x16" cages and separated them to pairs, that might work better... but really I don't know much about the best way to house budgies (again, never had one or done much research on them).

I'd suggest heading over to (broken link removed) and asking the question. I know at least a few people there have indoor flights for their birds and/or very spoiled budgies. They should be able to help you better.

I don't know as budgies are particularly destructive of their cages as some parrots can be as I've never had any. So maybe you would be able to make one- but parrots are very prone to heavy metal toxicity so I would be very wary of building your own cage for them as opposed to cavies. If you can build an indoor aviary that could be great for the budgies.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I wonder if a pvc frame would work and then stretch mesh wire over it. That would be pretty easy and cheap. Coroplast might even work for a bottom pan. I didn't have much luck searching google for any suggestions or plans for how to make your own bird cage. All I found were some people using rabbit hutches made out of wood and mesh.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Hmm, would the cubes be out of the question then? I had in my head a frame somewhat similar to an enclosed guinea pig cage. But because they're birds I suppose they would chew the bars too much? Hmmm.

sarahnmadison

Cavy Slave
I have 2 parakeets. One I got as a friend for a wild bird we had and hand raised since the wild bird was lonely. The other was a "family got bored with it and didn't want it" pet. I bought the biggest cage that I could find for them and that is what they live in.

Depending on what other types of pet you have, you may be able to use the cubes and if the holes are too big, use a hardware mesh to very tightly surround the cage. It would have to be secured very well. I have seen some cube bird cages so it is possible.

I don't modify my cages because of the cats and dogs - if they got ahold of the birds, I know the birds would be seriously hurt or killed so that worried me.

Alusdra

Cavy Slave
You have to be aware of bar spacing- probably 1/2" for parakeets (otherwise their heads can get stuck) and aware of toxic metals/coatings. Try out that site I linked earlier. If you post it there I'm sure there are at least 2 people with suitable indoor self-built aviaries for budgies, probably more as it seems everyone on there has a few (but usually talk more about their 'toos and macaws).

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
All right, thanks, I'll try that bird forum.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
You'd have to at least double grid or cover it in mesh. Most grids are powder coated stainless steel the same as alot of bird cages so it shouldn't be an issue. The problem is just that those holes are too big so you may end up resorting to mesh wire anyway. At that rate I figured it would be easier to build the frame out of something else instead of tying all the grids together only to wire or ziptie mesh onto them. Steel mesh shouldn't be a problem either since bird cages are made out of the same material. It's the pvc I'm not sure about but I see links to how to make pvc bird toys.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Hmm, maybe I'll look into building a mesh grid cage. You know, those silver coated metal mesh grids that some people use for their rats and ferrets?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.