Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage C&C cage sizing help!

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone so currently I only have 1 guinea pig and she is in a small pet shop cage :( I am ashamed, but she is a baby and this is temporary. I am going to build a c&c cage for her and get her a buddy!Is a 2x3 cage big enough for 2 girls? I will also add a 1x2 kitchen ad a second level. Will this be big enough? They will get floor time everyday for at least an hour every day except for Wednesday. On Wednesday they will only be able to get lap time due to me having dance for 4 hours after school. I will be sure to give them lap time before school. But will this be big enough if they get at least an hour of floor time every day except for Wednesday? thanks everyone!:)

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
okay, why cant they stay in the floor new cage while your away. Most people leave there piggies in them all the time. I currently have mine in a 2x3 single story made out of grids I purchased from walmart I put her up at night or when I leave the house only because the grids have a plastic mesh. I am purchasing a cage same size as what your wanting to build from ebay it includes the coroplast and ramp. Check them out they are pretty reasonable !B19THNQEWk~$(KGrHqZ,!hgE)8!PDZkhBMgmqovTE!~~_12.JPG

beachgurl_1988

Cavy Slave
I think that is good. I have a 2x3 now, and I have 3 girls. I am trying to expand their cage. For now, I just have to do lots of floor time!

If you have the ability, (closed door, no other pets etc) you could leave them in floor time during the day, while your at school/dance. Just make sure you have food, water,hay and hideys available for them!

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
okay, why cant they stay in the floor new cage while your away. Most people leave there piggies in them all the time. I currently have mine in a 2x3 single story made out of grids I purchased from walmart I put her up at night or when I leave the house only because the grids have a plastic mesh. I am purchasing a cage same size as what your wanting to build from ebay it includes the coroplast and ramp. Check them out they are pretty reasonable View attachment 21124

I have read that guinea pigs need at least an hour a day of floor time or out of cage time. They will be in their cage while I am not there. I just wanted to make sure they would be okay for not coming out of a cage for a day.

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
We have 3 dogs so that wont work. I am glad to hear that this size cage will work. we dont have the room for a cage bigger than a 2x3 in my room. (They have to stay in their because of the dogs, but my whole family comes in and gives her attention everyday and we bring her out for floor time) Thank you I just wanted to make sure she would get the proper care needed! Thank you!

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have read that guinea pigs need at least an hour a day of floor time or out of cage time. They will be in their cage while I am not there. I just wanted to make sure they would be okay for not coming out of a cage for a day.
oh i see what your saying sorry just misunderstood.

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
oh i see what your saying sorry just misunderstood.
Dont worry your good! I have seen the cages that seller makes I think i am going to order a 2x3 from them with a kitchen as the second level! Thank you for showing me that!:)

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
A 2x3 is the minimum requirement for 2 piggies. However if there is any way you can manage a 2x4, I would strongly suggest it.

When you add a second level the ramp takes up floor space, so if you could rearrange anything to get the extra 14 inches you be in a whole lot better position and I'm sure your piggies would thank you for it.

Somewhere around this site are links to room designing websites that help you organize your space before you start actually moving furniture around. Maybe someone will come along with a link that might help you find a way to situate everything so you have a little more room.

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
Thank you. we just dont have the room for an extra grid if you find the room designing website please let me know as it would be very helpful!

Candi Brown

Cavy Slave
You can get a box of grids at bed bath and beyond for twenty bucks. Seventeen grids you can build a 5x3 with that. But I don't know what space you have??? But anyway good luck but you can still just about do however you want with that too.

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
Here's one I found real quick.

Create floor plans, house plans and home plans online with Floorplanner.com

Just remember, you can get very creative. Your cage doesn't have to be a rectangle, you can make it with an angle so that it fits in the corner. Plus, if you have a desk or dresser you can put it on top if you cut a piece of plywood to make a base.

thank you so much for the link this will be so helpful!! My parents may let me move into our giant playroom so i can build a giant cage!

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
thank you so much for the link this will be so helpful!! My parents may let me move into our giant playroom so i can build a giant cage!

I'll keep my fingers crossed that they let you. Make sure you do extra things around the house to help convince them that you and your piggies deserve the upgrade. :)

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
me too! I have my piggy out for floor time she is wheeking so loud! She is so happy to be out of her tiny cage!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.