Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Buying in bulk??

Irishmoon

Cavy Slave
I have 5 piggies and to save money I want to buy their pellets in bulk from a feed mill. My questions is, what kind do I ask for? All piggies are over 6 months so I know the Alfalfa is out. If I ask for Timothy Hay pellets, would that be correct? I know that's what you want to buy from a store, but this is in bulk from a feed mill and I want to be 100% sure so Im not stuck with a whole bunch of pellets I can't use. If they don't have Timothy, what other options do I have?

Also, can my chinchillas also have the Timothy pellets? (Sorry if this is the wrong place to post about chins). They also get Timothy Hay and Alfalfa cubes. Would it be best to stick with the Timothy hay for them and see if the feed store sells bulk Alfalfa cubes? Dont know if Im explaining them right, its kind of like a big square cude of compressed Alfalfa, thats the best way I can describe it. Thanks!

The brand of pellets for guinea pigs is very important. Kleenmama and Oxbow both sell timothy based pellets. Kleenmama is only available online. Oxbow is available online and in some stores. I suggest you get one of these brands. Oxbow has a store locator on their website.

There are a few other brands that are acceptable, but these are the best timothy-based pellets available. Many other brands contain harmful ingredients or have lots of fillers.

I personally would not order bulk pellets from a feed mill. You may end up with who knows what. Pellets for pigs need to be high quality and feed mill pellets usually aren't that great, plus lower quality feeds contain C but it's not always C that will last, meaning it will degrade rather rapidly. For pigs over 6 months, it's better to give a timothy based pellet. If you give an alfalfa based one, it does have to be severely limited to no more than 1/8 cup per day. I have been feeding Mazuri 5664 for years now. It's alfalfa based and it comes in 25lb. bags. This is the only formula for Mazuri that is acceptable. If you want to order bulk timothy based pellets, you could go to (broken link removed) and get her pellets.

I'm not versed enough in chin diets to answer the questions about pellets and hay for chins. But I can say that many of the members here know what alfalfa cubes are.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.