Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails/Nail Trimming Buddys dramatic day!

kp53179

Cavy Slave
So one of my fears came true today! I took my pigs to my friends house to get help to click their nails since I was still too nervous to cut their nails. Everything was going great until Buddy jerked his paw and my friend cut the quick. He was bleeding every where.

My friend was almost in tears cause she felt so bad and I am literally about to pass out cause there was quite a bit of blood. We instantly put flour on his nail but it was still bleeding for a good 5 minutes so we called the vet and rushed over there and they put quick stop on it and cut the last of the nails.

I have never once felt like I was going to pass out before. I saw the blood and I instantly was shaking and sick to my stomach, along with the cold hands and being sweaty. My hands were covered in blood, my friends hands were covered and my shirt. Buddy was fine, he was being his normal cuddly self and climbing up to my shoulder.

I was so worried that he was in a lot of pain but when we got home he ran right up the ramp like nothing happened. It's going to take me awhile to get the nerve to cut their nails again cause even thinking about it makes me queezy but I think the ones that were more hurt were me and my friend lol. Now I know the correct way to hold my two pigs when cutting their nails. This way was so much nicer, they never once moved! Does this happen a lot? I hope it never happens again, I don't know if I could handle it again LOL

It always seems like a lot of blood, but unless you actually cut into the toe, there's no reason to go to the vet.

I use corn starch instead of flour. It seems to work very fast. However, I will also just use direct pressure--putting my finger on the nail end for several minutes. It helps to give the pig some greens or a carrot to munch on while doing this.

My friend has experience with cutting animal nails so she was the one doing the pressure to stop the blood! I was feeding him veggies but he didnt want them, he honestly just wanted to cuddle with me. My friend was so scared that she really hurt my pig so she said she wouldnt feel good until the vet looked at him! It was a free visit so I think it was worth it. I honestly haven't taken a very good look at his foot cause I can't stomach it. The vet said he was fine so I took it from there :) Thanks for your tips!

Wow, a free visit? That's great!

I know! She had just spent $300 the day before and is very well known there so I was grateful for that!

that's always scared me, though I've never cut that low. My lil boys jerk and won't eat the treats and try to bite at this point. But they're still very skittish and very nervous. and it sounds like I'm killing them if I even touch a food lol. Anyways, hope the guy is a okay!

One of my pigs is so chill with nail cutting that I can do it myself, with her propped up in my arm. My other pig takes 2, if not 3 people, to clip his nails and he squels like you're torturing him. I've never cut the quick or had a pig bleed.

One of my pigs is so chill with nail cutting that I can do it myself, with her propped up in my arm. My other pig takes 2, if not 3 people, to clip his nails and he squels like you're torturing him. I've never cut the quick or had a pig bleed.

That's my big boys, so relaxed and mellow! because they know they get treats, and stuff! Although my Mom will help a little with Charlie who tends to not like sitting still for expanded (5 mins is a year to him) times.

This sounds scary! You handled it very well, though.

My girls have a brick and a rock in their cage which helps with filing their nails down. They will be visiting the vet for their first toenail trimming next Saturday and I am excited to see if they will let me trim their nails by myself but also relieved to have a professional on hand for help if needed.

Oh wow! You helped me prepare in case this ever happens to me!

My old pig was very well-behaved when I clipped her nails, but my two new pigs are very young so their nails haven't grown enough for me to cut them. I'm nervous though, they don't seem like they'll like it very much :p

Yikes! I'm so glad everything turned out okay. I'm overdue for trimming Amy's nails, but she doesn't really struggle much...it's just that most of her toes are dark, so that always scares me. I haven't even attempted Quinn's yet because she's a little wiggle worm. I don't know how my husband gets her to stay on the scale for her weekly weigh-in (he actually does it a couple of times a week because he's paranoid after all our previous piggy issues).

Yes it was definitely a scary experience that I was dreading it happened. I am just thankful I wasn't alone! My two are some wiggle worms, Snickers being worse than Buddy! I definitely want to get a brick/rock for their cage hoping that will help but I am going to wait for a few months til Buddys nail grows back. I can't even stomach looking at it but he is happy as ever chasing his brother and running over my feet lol.

Thanks Henea Guinea! I was glad how well it went down but couldn't have done it without my friend!

And PiBee, that is exactly why I posted my story! I was soo scared it would happen to me and I would have NO idea what to do, So I am glad this is preparing someone. I just wish it didn't happen to Buddy but it did and hes doing perfect!

I have a little dish of cornstarch always on hand incase something happens, and I know to apply pressure to it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.