Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals Brown stuff coming out my Guinea Pig's vagina?

psungllama

Cavy Slave
So my guinea pig was sneezing and had discharge on her nose, so I took her to the vet last week and she was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection. Tomorrow is the last day of her medication, but today I noticed she had some brown stuff that kind of looks like poop on her vagina, and it also looked like she was pooping out of her vagina. I should also mention that it looks like she's been having some trouble going to the bathroom, but other than that she seems fine. She eats and drinks and is pretty alert and active. Does anyone know what this is? And do you think I should take her back to the vet after the medication is over with? Also, I won't be able to get her to the vet until Sunday, do you think she will be okay until then? Thank you to anyone who replies!

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Does your pig have loose/irregular stools? Maybe that's why it looks like she has poop around that area. Also, is your vet an exotic pet vet? Dog and cat vets aren't trained to learn about pigs and they mis-diagnose them. You'll waste your time and money going to them. @bpatters or @foggycreekcavy have better knowledge on health than I do and they might be able to help.
Hope your pig gets well soon!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What do you mean by "some trouble going to the bathroom?" Is she not pooping? Or she poops and makes noise? Or the poop is too soft? Clumpy? Has diarrhea?

Guinea pigs are not usually constipated, and if she's not pooping, there's probably something wrong further up in the intestinal tract. If she's squeaking and hunching up while pooping, she may have a urinary tract stone.

Antibiotics can cause intestinal disturbances, including loose stools and diarrhea. If things clear up tonight and tomorrow, her problem may be the antibiotics. If not, she may need to go back to the vet.

In general, it's not safe to wait 4-5 days to take a sick guinea pig to the vet. They are prey animals, and they hide illnesses very well. By the time you realize something is wrong, they may be seriously ill. If you've got a sick guinea pig, you want to get it to the vet that day or the next, if at all possible.

psungllama

Cavy Slave
She hunches up when she's pooping, but she doesn't make any noise, also it doesn't seem like anything is coming out. And when she does poop it seems kind of soft.

psungllama

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure because this just started happening today and I don't think so, I'll look up some tonight near where I live. And thank you! I hope she does too.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If she's just finishing a course of antibiotics, and the problems with the poop just started today, the antibiotics may be responsible. Restrict her vegetables for 24 hours, feeding her only hay and pellets, and watch carefully to see if things improve. If not, you need to get her to a vet.

psungllama

Cavy Slave
Okay, will do, thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.