Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Bladder stones

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Hi. So lately I've been seeing whitish pee stains on the fleece. I have no idea who it's coming from, Flyn or Kasper. Not only the dried pee stains look white, but fresh puddles of urine (naughty piggies! They're not suppose to pee on the fleece :)) look kind of white as well. I'm kind of scared, because I can't really remember if whitish pee is normal. Has anybody ever experienced bladder stones with their pigs? How does it look like? Thanks.

Baylee Cathey

Cavy Slave
When my girl's pee dries it is also white, So as far as I know it's normal if it's white when it's dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PigsandPugs

Cavy Slave
My Lena just went through a ( so far ) successful bladder stone surgery a few weeks ago. Her urine was ( and sometimes is ) a little chalky white, but not actually gritty. I am quite sure her stones were present when I got her from the SPCA - with vet check and a second vet checkup a few months ago. What tipped me off was a few isolated incidents of light pink in her urine. Soon after I spotted actual red and took her in the next morning. Stones were diagnosed with x ray. She was active and eating well throughout. In hindsight, I do find she is far more affectionate after surgery ( although she always loved to cuddle, but even more now ). The full bill was expensive, $1600 in total, but totally worth it!

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave
I wanna ask that how many times u see blood in guinea pigs urine..couz only twice that happens wid my piggy after that he is not having any blood in his pee.. is that normal ...do I have to show him to the vet???

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Blood in the urine is a sign of bladder irritation, whether because of infection, sludge, or stones. If you're sure it's in the urine and not a spot of plain blood from somewhere else, then your pig needs to see a vet.

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave
That happens 2 week ago.. so still I have to bring him to the vet??

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, I'd wait until it happens again. But I'd keep a very close eye on him, watching for any squeaking while peeing or pooping, and sniffing for any odor to the urine. Also, if you see gritty white spots where the urine has dried go ahead and take him in.

Meganii

Cavy Slave
Ditto to that^ but one of the main signs of a bladder stone is grittieness, its unlikeley to be a bladder stone if there is no grit at all.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It may be unlikely to be a bladder stone if there's no grit, but I had a pig with stones with never any grit in the cage.

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave
Yeah I'm keeping a very close eye on him after I saw that, and he is not squeaking while peeing and pooping but he sniff his urine sometime. And his urine colour is normal like a water colour but sometimes he has a cloudy colour urine. thanks for the help 😊

PigsandPugs

Cavy Slave
So here is an update on Lena. She is doing great, alive and well, but since the original bladder stone surgery she was peeing blood again 5 weeks later and treated for a UTI. Then in late December ( first surgery was September) she developed another UTI - diagnosed with a sterile urine sample. She was treated with a longer course of antibiotics and seemed fine, yet still had bleeding. I took her for an ultrasound and she had TWO more stones! The vet was wonderful and not only did not charge for her past ultasound, plus one for my other pig Lily, but she also did the second surgery for a vastly reduced price ( about 2/3 cost of original surgery ). Strangely, Lena recovered from this past surgery like it was a day at the spa! Her first surgery she had a typical sore recovery, but this time she was spry and eating, drinking, etc. like nothing even happened. I swear if I could not see the stitches myself I would not even believe she really had a surgery. Anyway, she is worth every penny and turning 4 in a few weeks. The vet says she is in excellent condition and that I am doing everything I can to prevent them . I am concerned though, that if she keeps re developing these stones it will not be practical, either for her health or our finances to do surgeries every few months. Has anyone had a similar experience, and if so what did you do? The vet says if they continue this way that pain management could be a viable option. I love my pigs and I do not want to cut her life short... help !!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Some pigs have recurring issues with stones. I know one person whose pig redeveloped stones within two weeks after surgery.

If a pig is prone to stones, there's not a whole lot you can do to prevent it. A low calcium diet may help, and it may not. I lost my Flourish to complications of bladder stones, and she was on a low calcium diet all her life.

PigsandPugs

Cavy Slave
So sad to hear. How old was your Flourish?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Almost six. She was around three when she had the first stone, and made it just fine for more than two years more. The second one came on pretty quickly as far as I could tell.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.