Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Best substitute for egg (baking)?

Alusdra

Cavy Slave
Ok- so...

A friend of mine who is vegan says that she is going to convert me to vegan sandwiches, which I am a bit dubious on seeing as that seems to entail fake meat, and I'm thinking- why not just get lunch meat when it's cheaper anyway (besides moral reasons, obviously).

What does this have to do with baking? Well, as a trade she requested I make my pumpkin and/or butternut squash bread vegan so she can have some. And I though- heck, why not? At the worst I'll mess up a batch of bread and it will only be sort-of tasty, not really really good. And if I don't use eggs I can eat all the batter I want! Er... that is, those poor hens... (I've been getting my eggs locally and those things are pampered)

Anyway- I was thinking applesauce? I went on GoVeg.com and they suggested a banana and that sounds ridiculously good, too. Any experience or preferences from people who bake a lot?

Butternut squash bread. Here's the recipe that I use, though I modify it (less sugar, generally more squash, I did something funny with the baking soda by accident).

I could always experiment... maybe one with eggs as control, one with just applesauce, one with applesauce and banana, one with banana, one with nothing (pumpkin mentioned as a replacer). Hm... may need another pumpkin.

I don't have to worry about my sugar or something being vegan, do I? :sad:

banjosnotbombs

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)
It actually says on VegCooking that squash can be used as an egg replacement. Maybe you could add another cup of squash to that recipe, and see how it works.
This bread actually sounds really good, I'm going to give it a try.
I'm not completely sure with sugar. I think it's like, refined sugar is usually refined in ground animal bones, but it doesn't specify on the package whether is has been or not. I think raw sugar is fine though.
I don't use sugar, I use agave syrup.

Alusdra

Cavy Slave
Ok, thanks. I'll see how much pumpkin I end up with. The recipe is really good- I've made it a couple times now and it's always been delicious.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Flaxseed. If you buy flaxseed it should have it on the side on how to substitute it.

rxqueen

Cavy Slave
You can get sugar almost anywhere that hasn't been refined.

Also, I use egg replacer. Found it at Fred Meyer.

banjosnotbombs

Cavy Slave
How did the bread turn out?

Alusdra

Cavy Slave
Hmm... lots of interesting ideas. I bought another pumpkin to test out some of the ideas.

So the bread turned out really tasty, but rather moist (almost wet) and rather flat. The first batch ended up a bit overcooked (and ended up getting a bit rubbery) as it never dried out like proper bread, so I kept it in double the time. I substituted a banana and some applesauce for the egg... in consulting with many people I've gotten lots of tips. More baking powder, use lemon juice, possibly yeast...

On the plus side- now I get some vegan pizza in trade. Though I'm a bit dubious of the cheese-that-is-not-cheese.

banjosnotbombs

Cavy Slave
If you get the recipe right, could you post it on the sticky?
I was going to give it a try, and then I was reading other recipes similar recipes, and how they were modified, and I really couldn't figure it out. I'm not experienced enough in heavy duty modifications like that.

Vegan cheese isn't so bad. I've had some that was just awful, but the kind I like best is Earth Island. The pizza is likely to be really good, especially if your friend trying to convert you lol.

Alusdra

Cavy Slave
Haha- yeah, she is trying. I sort of doubt it will work, though- I'm sort of a rabid scavenger when it comes to free food. Being vegetarian or vegan would severely cut into my grazing.

I will post in the sticky if/when I get the recipe figured out better.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.