Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Won't Eat Veggies Bell Peppers

cherisy4

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs do not care for bell peppers - green, red or yellow. For a few days I tried to just give them bell pepper and lettuce, so as to entice them to eat the pepper, but they still refused to eat the pepper. They also refuse to eat strawberries, squash and broccoli. Has anyone had problems with getting their piggies to eat bell pepper? If so, did they eventually take to them? If they continue to refuse the bell pepper, I will begin giving them Vit C supplements.

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
You need to no offer them anything but Bell peppers, lettuce and cilantro till they will accept all three.

Be persistant. Until then get a sugar free Vit C supplement (some foods like Oxbow have extra Vit C too and that helps as well), they need about 25 mg/day.

Triggs

Cavy Slave
I had the same problem. Basicly any vegetable that had Vit C in it they wouldn't eat. :eye-poppi So I'd give them 2 servings of something they liked but in smaller portions. With a portion of the bell peppers. I'll admit for the first week i threw away more peppers than they actually ate. But now they eat anything. lol

cherisy4

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I already feed them Oxbow pellets, so it would be perfect if they would just eat their bell pepper! I will try giving them nothing but peppers and lettuce again. I always end up throwing them away - they are very stubborn and won't even touch them. They don't really care for cilantro either, but I will try that again as well. Here's hoping!

Triggs

Cavy Slave
Why did you just ask us for advice then completly ignore the two suggestions you got. To only go back and do the same thing that's been failing ? Try what we suggested.....

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Most all veggies have C in them. Some veggies just have more than others. Bell peppers are a great source of C that can be given daily while some aren't good daily. Be persistent and keep offering. Try chopping them up differently, try rubbing it on their mouths.

Triggs

Cavy Slave
I love pie and Chips. But if you gave me pie and chips everyday. I'd hate pie and chips. If you gave me Chips with every meal. I'd hate chips. Same with pigs. They will get over certain vegetables or tastes if you constantly feed them the same one's. Or favor one over another. Mix up what you give them. Look under the Diet Forums and check the chart. :D

cherisy4

Cavy Slave
Trigg -
I didn't ignore the two suggestions - I followed JD In Van's advice. I already tried the method you suggested...a long time ago...and it didn't work.

Your post was rude and uneccessary.

Triggs

Cavy Slave
Meal 1 - Broccoli, Lettuce, peppers
meal 2 - Cucumber, Peppers, Baby Carrot
Meal 3 - Peppers, Cauliflower, Parsley.
Meal 4 - Peppers, Celery, Baby tomarto

Etc.

Triggs

Cavy Slave
My post was not rude. I asked why you asked a question to simply ignore advice and do what you had been doing. 2 servings of vegetables a day Is not whats reccommended. Lettuce every day will give ur guinea pig diorhea. The pallets is not enough source of Vit C. I don't do they "Hey darlz" and "Hope that helps luv" cause I'm a young male. Straight to the point.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Meal 1 - Broccoli, Lettuce, peppers
meal 2 - Cucumber, Peppers, Baby Carrot
Meal 3 - Peppers, Cauliflower, Parsley.
Meal 4 - Peppers, Celery, Baby tomarto

Etc.

Ummm No. I'm sorry to say but that's not a good diet plan. There's no leafy greens except lettuce once. Please do more research on good diet plans before giving advice. Lettuce daily does not give diarrhea unless maybe it's given to a pig who has never had it in large amounts then it can happen.

I would continue to follow what JD stated as it's also my advice and I've suggested the same many times (JD has taken my advice). Once the pig gets used to the "daily's" then it's time to vary the diet. I also want to mention that it can take weeks to get them to eat new things. A few days is not long enough. Offer very small amounts so you don't have to waste as much and maybe even eat some yourself so it doesn't all go to waste.

BabyBellie

Cavy Slave
I can sympathize as I have the same problem now with my skinny pig. He now goes so far as to take it from me (in his mouth might I add) and then throw it out of the cage. lol I'm starting to think it may never happen with him but I keep trying. He's tried a bite before and then opened his mouth and pushed it out with his tongue.

Triggs

Cavy Slave
Maybe your advice is not working then? Why do u all keep asking the same questions. Why is my pig bored. Won't eat veggies. Etc. My pigs are happy healthy social pigs. Yours all sound bored and petrifyed.

Triggs

Cavy Slave
And as a human we should congest 5 servings of vegetables. Meat or fish. Calcium. Dairy. Fats and vitamins. Some days I eat alot of vegetables. Others not alot. You think pigs get all that daily in the wild?

Milkingit

Cavy Slave
Ummm, yes.

Considering all they eat in the wild is vegetables, and grass.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
And as a human we should congest 5 servings of vegetables. Meat or fish. Calcium. Dairy. Fats and vitamins. Some days I eat alot of vegetables. Others not alot. You think pigs get all that daily in the wild?

You do not know how many people say things like this "they dont eat veggies in the wild" or "they live outdoors in the wild" But cavies in the wild only lived a short life of a few years.

BabyBellie

Cavy Slave
Wow. This advice is for the best of the pigs. Can people survive without all the daily requirements of nutrition? Yes. Are they healthier if they do get all the requirements? Yes. Also, the cavies that do exist in the wild are not like the ones we have as pets. These guinea pigs only exist as domestic animals.

Furthermore, I don't know about your experience but mine eat all their lettuce, EVERY DAY. If I give them veggies and not lettuce for a few minutes, they start to wheek again, thinking I forgot. Animals do not eat the same way many people do. And some people do eat some things they like every day. I have milk every day. I have toast and peanut butter every day. I've done this for years and it doesn't change that I like it. It just depends how much they like it. If you can't see that Ly's advice, and the rest of the advice on this forum makes for happier, healthier pigs then I don't know what else to say. I however know my pigs came alive when I started following this advice. Even their coats are softer. Maybe step back and see that this works.

JD In Van

Cavy Slave

I don't think you understand how the digestive system of cavies work. Unlike your body that processes 'meals' and has a great capacity for storing certain nutriants in your fat cells and fasting in general, cavy's digestive systems are constantly in motion (which is why they poop every where), meaning that a diet high in ruffage is extremely important. That ruffage is largely obtained through leafy greens and that along with the fiber from their hay keeps everything moving and prevents blockages.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Maybe your advice is not working then? Why do u all keep asking the same questions. Why is my pig bored. Won't eat veggies. Etc. My pigs are happy healthy social pigs. Yours all sound bored and petrifyed.
Please don't use chat speak, you've been asked twice already to stop using "u" and "ur" in your posts and spell the words out.

Some pigs won't eat veggies because they've never had them before. If you have pigs that did not have this problem then you are fortunate but not all pigs immediately will eat all veggies they are offered. Personally, I've found your advice very unhelpful in this thread and some even useless as I feel you've no clue to this situation. You are just throwing out random stuff that really isn't beneficial and offering poor suggestions as far as diet. I've personally found your attitude a bit rude, a bit condescending and a bit arrogant, but that's just me. Sorry but I'm being "straight to the point".

You cannot compare a cavies diet with a humans diet. You cannot compare the diet of a wild cavy to one that is domesticated either as our domesticated cavies are not their wild cousins. A pigs diet consists of approximately 50% hay, 40% of a variety of veggies and about 10% pellets. No dairy as they are lactose intolerant and no meat or fish as they are strict herbivores. They get the vitamins and minerals they need between the hay, veggies and pellets.

For cavies that are not used to eating certain veggies or any veggies, it's important to start out with what is known as the daily staples. Those would be lettuces (any variety but no iceburg), bell pepper and cilantro. Once a pig eats those three things successfully on a daily basis, then a slave would add in one new thing and wait for them to eat that then another, so forth and so on building up to 3-5 daily staples and 3-5 rotating veggies. If you just start giving random veggies to pigs and offer too many things, they get overwhelmed and may not be getting what they truly need but veggies that shouldn't be fed very often or in large amounts.

Sometimes members ask for diet advice and in each case, it may not always be the same answer. A plan is formulated for that specific user and their pigs.

Last edited:

Triggs

Cavy Slave
All I suggested was serving 2 familiar vegetables with a single new one so they pick at it and get used too it. It worked with my pigs. The rest was examples and hyperthetical metophores that you've taken litrally. The diet I posted was an example not biblical. And all I was saying Is one or two days without green leaf isn't going to harm your pig. Months will. And this is a forum to discuss differing ideas. Or so I thought. Otherwise we can all read the info page on the home page. Cause you all just copy and paste your replys from there. 40 members end up replying the same way. Good discussion. How unhelpful.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.