Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Baths

lchap87

Cavy Slave
I could not find the page on baths. Is it ok to use baby shampoo when bathing a guinea pig? I used it once and it seemed like they were sheding a lot more than usuall after the bath. Is that ok? or is baby shampoo a guinea pig no-no? Thanks for your help.

~Laura Cali and Ginger

Treen

Cavy Slave
I stick to pet shampoos made specifically for small animals. Human shampoos (even baby shampoos) contain all sorts of chemicals that make it smell nice and lather well. These will leave a residue, even if you rinse really well, and this isn't designed to be ingested. That's fine for people, but guinea pigs lick their fur and will just end up eating whatever residue is left. Stick to shampoos that are made for them, and with their behaviours in mind.

When the seasons are changing, their rate of shedding usually increases as their coat adapts to the new weather. So that could explain the extra hair coming out.

Remember a couple of baths a year is plenty for a guinea pig. If their cage is kept nice and clean, they shouldn't need it any more than that. Most don't enjoy being bathed, and it can dry out their skin, so it's best to only do it when needed.

lchap87

Cavy Slave
The last time i bathed them was last year and i couldnt remeber what the page said on bathing and then i couldnt find it. thanks for your help

~Laura

kennethlhm

Cavy Slave
u can use baby shampoo because it is soft but shampoo for small animals is still preffered.

*guinealover*

Cavy Slave
how often do u ive ur piggie a bath???

cavylover_76

Cavy Slave
I have used baby shampoos without incident. But a few weeks ago I found something that's even better. They are like giant baby wipes for bathing cats. They clean without immersion in the water, and therefor you don't have to worry about getting the pigs dry enough. My pigs love them, it's like they get a massage and bath all in one!!!!

I found them at Wal-Mart in the pet dept.

Good luck,
Marie

morrigan

Cavy Slave
Some use bunny shampoo

Treen

Cavy Slave
Be careful with wipes as they do leave a residue. Ones made for cats may leave a residue relatively safe for a cat to ingest, but a tiny guinea pig's system is very different.

If you want to give them a quick wipe, use a damp flannel which has been soaked only in warm water. That way you're not putting any chemicals on their coat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.