Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Baby Bunny questions

MinnieMay9

Cavy Slave
I know this is a guinea pig forum, but I'm not sure where else to ask this.
Here is the story: My mom and I found this wild baby bunny that the mother had abandoned in the front yard. We grabbed some gloves and moved it to some cover and put some grass by it's head. Hours and hours later it was still alive but still very weak. We got some water in it and left it for a while to see what would happen. It was still alive but not really moving once we got home again.
So it wouldn't get eaten we put it in a spare guinea pig travel cage for the night. We also gave it some milk to get something that close to nutritious into it. He also perked-up some and moved around.
It was very cold this morning, but still alive. He had also piddled during the night, I took that as a good sign. I got more water into it and now it's sitting outside in the shade (still under cover so no cats can get to it)

My questions are: How often should I give it water and how much? How often and how much milk should I give it?
I know there is a baby milk formula out there for baby animals too. But I don't know how old this little dude is or if he is weaned or not.

4piggers

Cavy Slave
How do you know it was orphaned? Mother rabbits do not sit on the nest during the day. In fact they only visit the nest once a day to feed them.

You would only be feeding it once a day, and depending on the age only a few CCs from a syringe. Also depending on the age you will have to make it use the bathroom. But rubbing warm cotton ball on its *area*.

Are the eyes open? Is he furred? all these play a factor in his age.

Seonta

Cavy Slave
you should contact your local wild life control center so that they can try to rehabilitate the rabbit and release it. If you do not know who to contact I would first go through your local animal control.

MinnieMay9

Cavy Slave
It was out in the open, no nest was in the area. The little dude has it's eyes opened and is completely furry.

I've tried calling a few Wildlife Rehabilitators, but two of the numbers were bad. My vet gave me another one and though no one answered, I left a message. I also sent an e-mail to another one.

MinnieMay9

Cavy Slave
Update: One of the Wildlife Rescue people called back. We are gonna take the little guy to visit them and they are gonna try and tell if he can survive on his own.
I personally don't think so yet, but I'm not an expert.

MinnieMay9

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the help everyone!
We took Bunny to the Wildlife Rehab lady. She said that Bunny did have a cut on it's tummy and would need some antibiotics. She is going to tube-feed him some formula mixed with some type of acid to help his tummy break the food down. She said baby bunnies are the hardest to tell how they are doing. She said that one that could be looking fine could die or a really weak one might live. So I'm hoping Bunny will live.
I think I'm going to call her next week to see how the little dude is doing. She also said that we did good for the little one while he was in our care.

babybunny

Cavy Slave
Aw hope the lil bunny lives!

Seonta

Cavy Slave
I am really glad you decided to take her to a wildlife center. That's for the best really. I hope the bunny does well too.

MinnieMay9

Cavy Slave
I called the lady about the little one today. Turns out he didn't make it. She said he died about 3 hours after we left him. Poor little dude. I know he went out with a fight.
RIP little Bunny.
Thanks to all who were thinking of him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.