Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Are 4 inch coro sides tall enough?

emcronc

Cavy Slave
I'm building a 2x4... the sheets or coro I can get at Home Depot are only big enough to have 4 inch sides. Is that going to be tall enough to keep everything contained? Planning to use wood pellets and fleece. But will probably have to use carefresh or something similar on occasion when we have a pet sitter. Thanks.

busybusy

Cavy Slave
I would say no that you really do need 6 inches. I bought an extra sheet of coro from home depot and did the sides separate. I say 6 because I know my guinea can easily get over 4 and it does keep in the bedding or hay as well as a little taller wall.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Mine always want to climb back in the cage not out. If they really want to guinea pigs can seriously climb and 6" walls is not going to stop them. One female who hated being out of her cage climbed 2' high trying to get back in.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've had four-inch sides on my cage for years with no problems except having to sweep a few extra poops off the floor.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
My cages all have 4 inch tall trays. They probably do scatter more bedding than they would with 6 inch sides, but I deal with it. It's the grids that contain the pigs anyway. Some people use a shower curtain and no sides at all.

That being said, I would never feel comfortable leaving pigs in an open cage. I have a few that can climb right out. I accidentally left the boys' cage open one day and came home to my Levi running around the house.

emcronc

Cavy Slave
Mine always want to climb back in the cage not out. If they really want to guinea pigs can seriously climb and 6" walls is not going to stop them. One female who hated being out of her cage climbed 2' high trying to get back in.

I just meant the coro would be 4 inches high. The coro base would still be sitting in a cage made of 14 inch high grids, so no climbing out!

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
I probably got the same coro as you for my 2x4 cage @emcronc . Which means I have four inch sides. It works perfectly fine for me, but I don't use pellets under the fleece. it seems short when you are talking about it, but four inches will keep a layer of pellets and fleece contained pretty well. The only thing I would be concerned about is the poop falling out if you don't spot clean every day. Or if your pigs are babies in which case you will need sides of at least 10 inches so their heads don't get stuck in the grids on accident.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I just meant the coro would be 4 inches high. The coro base would still be sitting in a cage made of 14 inch high grids, so no climbing out!
Many have open top cages, if not most. Pigs can most definitely climb 14" grids. Like I said ours once went 2' up the grids on the outside of the cage trying to get back in.

4cavies

Cavy Slave
Most pigs don't climb, but if they do, I have noticed they will figure out a way to climb, no matter how large the coroplast walls are. They can be very determined. If I have a climber, I add a lid to the cage. Unless, of course, you are talking about baby pigs.

My walls are only two and a half inches and I have never had a problem, but I do use fleece.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I have 6" chloroplast walls and use carefresh. They do kick it out of the cage when they start doing laps and playing chase, poop flies out too. But it's not a lot, and easy to hand vacuum up.

emcronc

Cavy Slave
Many have open top cages, if not most. Pigs can most definitely climb 14" grids. Like I said ours once went 2' up the grids on the outside of the cage trying to get back in.

Oh wow! Well I won't have that problem regardless. I have a cat so will have a lid. In fact, I'm quite proud of it! I've built a close replica of the lid sold on this site. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.