Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Appearence on TV

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It's just 5 days now until I'll be going on tv, to promote the pet expo but I'll also try to sneak in something about the rescue!

I'm filling out the questionnaire sheet....and would like your ideas on what I should put under the question; Any interesting facts about your pet?

I know there are many interesting facts about them but would like your opinions on what the 3 - 5 most interesting facts about piggies are...ones that will get people to go "awww" or "wow!"....

Thanks

It may be obvious but piggies each having very different personalities may be news to people who have never had them.

That's what I was thinking of saying ShadeyPig! xD You beat me to it. :p

I would definitely tell them about popcorning as one of the facts - something along the lines of: when guinea pigs are very happy and excited they will do little jumps called popcorning.
As another cute fact you could tell them that they will beg for their food by wheeking and some may stand up on their hind legs!

I think you should mention how many happy piggie sounds they make! That's been one of my favorite things. I could sit here and just listen to them bubble all day. :)

They're little poop machines. They constantly eat and poop. My vet calls them little goats the way they graze nonstop. Also, they're not nocturnal like many people thing.

Since gps are preyed upon animals, maybe mention that they have emotions and feelings. I think many people look at exotics as emotionless and pets that are "just there" unlike cats and dogs where people know about this. I was shocked one time when I mentioned my bird is depressed the response was like what, no way. Even fish have feelings, emotions, different personalities. But exotics don't somehow.

I don't think I'll have time to talk about piggies much...as It really is only to promote the Pet Expo (though...I know if they get me started talking I wont stop.....)

Here is some of the filled out Questionnaire..

Anything our staff should know about the animal?
They are continuously pooping little solid pellet shaped poohs.
They are best kept calm and quiet by eating veggies.

Any interesting facts about your pet?
When very happy guinea pigs will Popcorn; When popcorning guinea pigs will run-around and jump into the air, land on all fours, quickly turning in another direction and repeat the jump.
Chirping is rare sound made by some guinea pigs, it sounds just like a bird’s chirp. No one knows what it means, not even if it is a good or bad nose.
There are no longer any guinea pigs in the wild, After being kept as pets for a thousand years there are none left in the wild.

Setup for animal (e.g. cage)?

Indoor cages, using fleece & towels.

I like it! Nice job!

I didn't realize that there aren't any gps left in the wild! I learned something today!

There are gps found in the wild. In Peru for example they catch them and eat them. Several countries catch gps and for food.

Anything our staff should know about the animal?
They are continuously pooping little solid pellet shaped poohs.
They are best kept calm and quiet by eating veggies.

Don't forget to mention they need hay. Most people think hay is just a treat.

Getting a bit nervous!

While there wont really be much time for me to talk, they were really interested in Popcorning so might get a bit about that in!

There are gps found in the wild. In Peru for example they catch them and eat them. Several countries catch gps and for food.

Oh...lol, I read off about 6 sites that they weren't...opps!

here is a bit off one of the sites
"Cavia porcellus is not found naturally in the wild; it is likely descendant from some closely related species of cavies, such as Cavia apera, cavia fulgdia and Cavia tschudii, which are still commonly found in various regions of South America."

A picture of me before the show...my hand started shaking during part of it...

How did it go?

Sorry for not replying sooner! I went to bed at 3pm as I was just so tried!

Anyway.

It went well...there really wasn't that much time. But I did sneak a bit in saying I don't have time to give them all cuddles everyday as we've got 26 in our rescue right now...though I didn't get in the rescue's name or anything else about it.

On the table there was a bird who stayed in the cage, my Buttercup and Pluto and then a lady on my left held her Man coon cat (Which I knew my guys were fine with as we have 7 cats, 5 who are/were feral, It was more of the cat not wanting anything to do with them)...then on the floor there was a 19 week old Leonberger and a adult male Leonberger ... who just adored my younger brother!

Once I get a link or something for the clip I'll post it here.. though it's not really much

Okay...here is a link

You did great , very well spoken and the piggies did wonderful as well. I have to say i love love love your hair.... I had pink and blue back in the day and while i keep it "normal" so as not to embaress my kids I secretly miss my fun hair :p

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.