Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Animart??

Has anyone else seen the page on guinea pig care for this site? (hope the link works) It's entitled 'Crazy about Cavies'.

(broken link removed)

I really don't agree with the part about total cost for piggies a month is $6-$8 including food and bedding....are they nuts?? I spend $24 a month on bedding alone.

I know it says nothing about veggies or hay I spend at lest 20$ a month on veggies!

Well at least they adopt out their dogs and cats and they have been spayed or neutered. I really have a thing for places that sell them when there are so many that already need homes out there. One thing I don't like is that they de-claw there cats- I personaly think that is wrong! and yes there gps cages are WAY to a small for the poor pigs. too bad they don't have one in Ontario, or I would go there personaly and complain.

amfeider said:
I know it says nothing about veggies or hay I spend at lest 20$ a month on veggies!

How many piggies do you have? That's cheap.. I spend like $40 to $60 a month on veggies!

Sorry that was off topic.

There is NO WAY that someone can spend $6 to $8 a month on guinea pigs. Unless they were VERY poorly taken care of!

Are they kidding??? You don't have to give them any fancy vitamin C tablets!!! They can just have some flippin' carrots!!!

Well.... I guess you COULD spend $8 on pigs if it's REALLY cheap where you get the stuff... But of course, it's extremely unlikely!!!

Actually, carrots have a lot more vitamin A in them than vitamin C, if I've read right, Taco. XD

If you grew all the veggies in your garden (that would be a LOT of veggies, because they need a good cariety) and used fleece bedding, then sure I think you'd be able to go on $8 a month.. But then like every 3 months or so there's gonna be a bale of hay, pellets, stuff like that. It STILL dosen't add up though, $16 will not get you a good bale of hay and pellets.

"In fact, the most of owning a guinea pig is only about $6-$8 a month, including food and bedding."

Are you kidding me?

slap_maxwell said:
"In fact, the most of owning a guinea pig is only about $6-$8 a month, including food and bedding."

Are you kidding me?

Exactly what I thought. Maybe if the pig is living on pine shavings and food ONLY. But if your one of us... hehe..

Those tanks look tiny even for hamsters & rats. Its like a pet supermarket where you can go round and just pick up whatever animal you want & they are just viewed as 'stock'. I think they may have got rid of shops like that in the UK...I remember getting my hamsters from a large place when I was little but I think its closed down now. You'd think if they are so desperate to make money they would at least invest a bit in keeping their animals healthy & happy...but it seems not.

OK I sent in the letter and here is the response I got. Talk about lame.

Just to assure you we are very aware of the space needed for guinea
pigs.
That's why, what you don't see in the photos are 3 very large cubicles
the
have NO dividers where we put bunnies, guinea pigs and ferrets.
Sometimes
pictures just don't do us justice.

We do rescue a lot of guinea pigs, and we actually work very closely
with a
guinea pig rescue right here in Wisconsin. I can assure you that we do
not
turn down an unwanted guinea pig and that rescues in many aspects of
our
store are the priority.

I apologize for any misconception. Thank you for your concern.

Lisa Lasack
VP Animart Pet Division
Madison #608.242.2140
Beaver Dam #920.885.2801
Cell #920.210.3117

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.