Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Angry about how rat was treated

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Today I was at a pet store buying my pet supplies when some was buying a rat.. I said to the person that they do make great pet. To that she replied "oh it's not for a pet" As the employ pick up the rat by it's tail... I mean it mad me so mad.. She could of said yes, even if it was a lie.. My b/f was even madder then I was and told off both the person and the employ. .. I felt so bad for the rat..
I just had to rant about it..

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Some people ma!ke me SO mad

Could you explain it a bit more? I think I
know what happened but Im not entirely sure

Re: Some people ma!ke me SO mad

Oh noes! Poor rat :( they could at least treat them nicely before feeding them off :'(

Omg.. I feel ur pain. I hate that small animals are sold as food. It's so heartbreaking! When I was a little girl my cousin and I knew when the shipment of pinkies (feeder rats) where coming into the store and we used to go buy some and bottle feed them. I know, we were nuts! I could never ever own an animals that ate other animals. I know it's a fact of life, or the food chain, or whatever.. but I just wonder how people can do that? Out in the wild is one thing, but in captivity? Yuck!

Snakes have to eat to its just a fact of life. Just because an animal is in captivity doesn't mean they should be deprived of their natural food source.

Although I do agree they could of at least treated the rats better. Even if they are gonna become dinner for another animal. After all they are animals to.

I'm in agreement with @My_3_LittlePigs, I couldn't feed an animal a live meal. I know it's perfectly natural etc, but I couldn't do it myself. I also hate to see pet shops selling live meals. But it's all in the name of a profit, right? ;)

Poor rat, though. At least give the poor guy some dignity in his last few hours.

Awhh thats so sad, esp. When people use piggies too :(

Snakes have to eat to its just a fact of life. Just because an animal is in captivity doesn't mean they should be deprived of their natural food source.

Oh, I completely understand that.. It's just that I personally couldn't own the type of pet that needed to eat live animals. Nor, would I want to watch a snake eat it's dinner..

I'm a little borderline with this touchy subject. For what I'm about to say, I'll probably get yelled at, but I don't care.
I own ferrets, and like any good ferret owner knows, they should be on the raw meat diet, because they live short lives and cancer gets to them. Kibble makes that 10x worst. I haven't started yet, I will when it gets warmer, but I will be starting up my own colony of mice & rabbits, and possible rats for feeders. Some people think its cruel, but I would like to know that my animals are on the proper diet, and killed humanly before I feed my other animals. I understand what you guys are saying because I use to be on your side. But as soon as I got ferrets, and found out how unhealthy kibble was I knew I needed to feed raw/whole prey. I personally could never feed live, I will co2 the rats & mice and the rabbits will be killed humanly with breaking there necks meaning instant death.

I love ferrets. I had them, my cousin had them, and my mom still does. I knew several people that had and/or have ferrets and I've never heard of anyone giving them a whole animal to eat. Dead or alive. And to my knowledge we never had health issues with them. But I guess to each their own.. It would be cheaper if u bred the feeders yourself I suppose, if ur able to do that. Every animal has to eat, it is the food chain.. but it's still sad.

Most people haven't heard of it. Back in 1980 they use to feed nothing but raw, but some food company's decided that kibble is okay, which it isnt if you'd like to read more about it come here. https://holisticferret60.proboards.com/board/18/natural-diet

If you know Guinean pigs diet well, you would know that feeding them those colored bits are bad for them, therefore you should feed them straight pellets with nothing else.
if you know ferrets diet really well you would know that whole prey is the best.

im not sure how long your ferrets lived, but studies have shown that whole prey feed ferrets can easily live up to 14 years, where kibble feed ferrets usually average at about 6-8 years.

I'm glad I don't have a ferret. It's illegal in CA. I could NEVER feed another animal to an animal and not even sure I could dead.

I'm glad I don't have a ferret. It's illegal in CA. I could NEVER feed another animal to an animal and not even sure I could dead.

Ive never fed live. Like I said, but ferrets are by far the best and funniest pets out there in my opinion, and I've owned just about every common pet out there.

Ferrets make awesome pets. I wish I knew about the C&C cage when I had my ferrets. I still don't feel that its necessary to feed them whole animals. They can get meat through other sources. I couldn't feed something a live animal or kill something that I have been caring for, even for a little while, for food purposes. That's just not me.. there's nothing wrong with doing that if its your preference. I could, and do, buy dead animal. I'm not a vegetarian. It's just different to me. Personal preference is all it is. Cats are hunters too and live off of cat food. My ferrets lived just fine on that.

I think it's definitely a manner of personal preference. I mean, if I had any animal that required another animal as it's food, I'd definitely buy it pre-killed, sort of the way we buy cuts of beef etc.

One of my friends has a ferret as well as a horse, a rabbit, a guinea pig, the list goes on. Anyway she doesn't feed live prey, and her ferret just turned 12.

Oh, I completely understand that.. It's just that I personally couldn't own the type of pet that needed to eat live animals. Nor, would I want to watch a snake eat it's dinner..

I know I couldn't either I could barely watch my neighbors snake eat a rat when I was younger.

I couldn't feed something a live animal or kill something that I have been caring for, even for a little while, for food purposes.

I have never done that but I know myself I couldn't either. I wouldn't end up growing very attached to the animal.

I guess it's just a personal preference on which you wanna take that chance of you fuzzie getting cancer. I chose not and feed raw.

for those of you who don't know raw is just meat (what mine are on right now)

whole prey is like rabbits, GPigs, mice, rats, ect.

plus living on a huge farm raising cows, sheep. & pigs then humanly butchering them to feed our family. I see no problem with keeping my pets healthy.

@Rabbit_Lover I know I'd make a horrible farmer, unless I was a dairy farmer or something like that. I'd get too attached to an animal if I was feeding it and cleaning up after it. That's why I leave that to the experts. :)

Dairy farming is actually just as 'cruel' if you think about it. There are thousands of dairy cows keep in small pens. The feed they give them is a mixture of corn, filler, and other cows. When one cow dies, they grind it up into tin pieces and mix it with the corn.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.