Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Abscess Abcess and update

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
Hi. Well, Anna is eating to her heart's content, the vet came anyway and found her in great condition. Elsa however, had an abcess!!! She had it drained today. The vet said I should not worry, but I do... She is on antibiotics and will be for the next 10 days. The vet also told me to drain it, if I can on a daily basis. Those of you who have experience with abcesses, how did you deal with them? I am afraid of hurting her if I drain it. Do they usually reappear? Should I worry? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You absolutely have to drain it, or it will just keep coming back. You have to flush it at least once a day, preferably twice, with sterile saline, to get all the pus out. Abscesses have to heal from the inside out. If a scab form over the opening before it has healed inside, it will just fill up with gunk again. Here's a thread with some helpful information: https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=136

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
Thank you bpatters. I will definitely drain it! I am reading that thread! I'll keep you posted!

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
I went to check on her and it's all swollen again. I tried to flush it, but it was impossible. Only a little blood came out and she was screaming!! Can't do it. I am all tears!!! Called the vet and he said to leave her alone today, too stressful. He told me that sometime blood builds up and that I should call him in 48 hours to tell him how she is doing. I am all nerves...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, you're not looking for blood to come out. It'll be a little bloody at first, but you're looking for cheesy, smelly pus to come out, or else just the flushing fluid.

I'd go back to the vet with her and get him to show me how to do it.

dawntash

Cavy Slave
I'm a bit squeamish, but if you flush at least twice a day, hole should remain open. I got a syringe that has the needle in for the pressure of water, you don't need to put it in the wound. Another syringe is a curved one that arty people use to make model aeroplanes. I make my saline solution the night before with boiled water in a cup and half teaspoon salt, clean wound with hibiscrub.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
Thank you dawntash!! Well, I decided to get a second opinion and went with Elsa to see THE best exotics vet in my country, I would say. We saw him on Saturday and he said that Elsa is too young to undergo the stress of flushing the abcess daily. He told me it is encapsulated and that I should wait a couple of weeks to re evaluate and see if the antibiotic has been at all effective. I have to give him a call in three days to tell him how she is doing. The truth is she is doing great and the abscess seems to be smaller. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Again, thank you and I'll keep you posted.

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
Just an update on Elsa. Her abscess is almost gone. It can hardly be felt!! I am sooooo happy! Apparently, the antibiotics worked! Go Elsa!!!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.