Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

A baby guinea pig

honeylime

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. Pls do correct me if I've made some mistakes :eek: I am looking for a baby guinea pig to adopt, just bcoz I love animals and pets will always be my best friends! I'm always in my room, I dont go out often, and I'd love to have a pet of my own.
Please do help me!
It can be of any colour except black.
I live in Buffalo, NY. Unfortunately I cant drive, so I'll really appreciate it if someone could drive up.
Thank you! :cheerful:

purplecandle

Cavy Slave
What kind of cage do you have for your new guinea pig?

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
Not to be mean, but you do realize how much work/time/money guinea pigs are? I can't drive either and with school and all, its hard. Guinea pigs do best in pairs or herds. So if you are getting one, you should get another one or none at all. They need unlimited hay and pellets. They also need at least a cup of varried veggies a day. SO with two guinea pigs, its already 2 cups of veggies a day. Also, the minimum cage size for two sows is a 2x3, for 2 boars, 2x4. Its alot of space.

Also, you will need bedding which has to be cleaned at least one a week. Fleece is what I recomend. That requires shaking it out and laundry. If you don't use fleece, carefreesh or yesterdays news gets pricey.

Guinea pigs require out of cage free rome every day. I admit, considering I am a minor, guinea pigs are really hard to care for, harder than you would think. I save all of my birthday money and holiday money to provide for my guinea pigs. I also babysit and its pretty tight. I pay for everything, and its hundreds a year.

I ride my bike to the food store to get veggies. If you can't drive, like me, your parents will have to commit to driving you to vet visits, another expense. An average yearly exam is about $30 per pig. Sicknesses can get very pricey.

Guinea pigs are great pets, but are not for everyone. You need to commit and they can live to 8. So do your homework before you get one or hopefully two.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
You will need to be able to get supplies for any guinea pigs you have, and a reliable way to get them to the vet in an emergency. If you have that lined up, there are a couple of shelters/rescues in your area with cavies right now:

(broken link removed)

Erie County SPCA

honeylime

Cavy Slave
To wigglesgiggles1;
Thanks for your concern. But I have had a guinea pig before back at my home while I was studying too. I managed to take care of it very well by providing food n bedding - home stuff and also took it to a vet too for vaccination and all that stuff while I was staying in a hostel. Just as how I am responsible to other things, I would be responsible to my pet too and of coz will not neglect or be ignorant.

To purplecandle;
I dont know what are the cages like over here. I need to check em out b4 buying. I am not planning to get one real soon tho. Maybe in a few months time.

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
Just saying, guinea pigs don't need vaccinations, so you must be refferring to something else. Its good to know you can provide the care needed.

honeylime

Cavy Slave
Nt really vaccination it was. He was having flu. Thats wt I meant. But thank you :cheerful:

Shurrim

Cavy Slave
No pet store bought cage are large enough for guinea pigs. The 2x4 was referring to C&C cage (2 grids x 4 grids)
You can fing how to make one (very easy and cheaper than store bought ones) here
Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home (upper left for the how-to and other stuff)

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
Haha okay. I figured. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.