Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

90degree weather ideas

WendyK

Cavy Slave
Does anyone put frozen water bottles into the cage during very hot days OR what do you do when it's very very hot?

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
I put frozen bottles in their hutches and I put the fan on. The windows are open too.

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
You can put frozen water bottles in their cage, or if it's really hot, ice cubes or blocks. I also put the fan on, like myspoiltpiggies said. One other thing, you can buy ceramic tiles at a store like Home Depot, or a craft store, and put it their cage. The tiles get cool easily, and the pigs like to lay on them to cool down. My Queenie is so funny. She stretches out and lays on her back in the middle of the tile, her arms and legs up in the air. They really enjoy them!

AmiableAnimals

Cavy Slave
I put ice packs under one layer of fleece - they adors lying on them.

However, we just got an air conditioner for the upstairs so the piggies up here will be in real comfort soon!

Eventrocker33

Cavy Slave
Put a damp towel in their cage so they can lay down on it.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Frozen bottles of water wrapped in a towel, ice packs under fleece, they have a fan tilted toward the cage, really cold veggies. I have been putting their wet veggies in the freezer for about 10 minutes or so before I give them. My pigs really like that. They also get frozen watermelon or canteloupe rind sometimes.

mom to cujo

Cavy Slave
The central air in my house has been broken for the past 5 days and I am so worried about my boys. I keep frozen water bottles in their cages, wrapped in their cozies, and am delighted to see them laying right on top of them. It is usually so comfortable in here and I am dying from the heat - that is why I am so worried about them. They are eating, but not as much as usual and they are certainly not running around as much. I switch off the bottles a couple of times each day and hope the air will be fixed within a couple of days.

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
I had to wear a jumper today....

Piglet

Cavy Slave
WHAT?! Weasal, it is frikin boiling over here. My pigs don't seem to care about the frozen water bottle. A few days back I filled up a tupperware box with water and put it in the freezer. Took it out and then popped it into the cage - every now and again they took a lick. I also put a damp towel in the cage and drench their vegetables in cold water. The tile idea is really good too

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
You see, we are past the longest day now and the nights are drawing in. The apple tree in our garden has started to shed it's leaves...won't be long till we have to get the snow chains out! I actually put my girls into the hutch last night as it was that breezy - I worried they'd be too cold.
It's amazing the difference being a couple of hundred miles further into the frozen North makes!!!!!

WendyK

Cavy Slave
Went out and got the tile - what a great idea - I surround it on 3 sides with frozen water bottles - my guy gets on that tile and just hangs out - looking quite cool and happy. Change out the water bottles 3 times a day. Thanks for all the good ideas! WendyK

widallas

Cavy Slave
We have been freezing their water bottles about 1/2 to 3/4 full, adding some cold water and putting those in their cage to drink -- it stays cold longer, and they are drinking SOOOOO much water right now.

smileyface cavy

Cavy Slave
Cold, wet veggies, frozen bottles.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.