Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size 2x4 for 2 Boars?

SchristyUD

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

I just adopted my first piggie, Bernie, about 2 weeks ago. He was in a 2x3 C&C cage until I decided it really isn't fair to keep him alone. So I'm making the commitment to get another guinea pig to live with him.

I have expanded the cage to a 2x4 and i plan on getting the other pig on friday! My concern is that this is not big enough for 2 boars to get along. It is the biggest size cage that I have room for so I cannot go any bigger.

Is it still a good idea to get a friend for Bernie?

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
What is your guys personilty like?
Remember you will have to qurratine the new guy for three weeks to make sure he does have anything bad that he can pass onto your guy, or is sick.

Depending on the personailtys of each pig depends on weither they will get along.

I think you should try with a friend. If it doesn't work out u will need to make seperate cages.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How old is your pig?

Technically, a 2x4 is large enough for two pigs, but a lot depends on the personality of the pigs. If you've got a young one, then a spayed female or an older boar might be better than another male close to his age.

Are you adopting from a rescue? Most of them will help you select a pig that will get along with your pig.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
From my experience it really depends on their personalities.
My bonded pair of boars went from a 2x4 to a 2x5 to a 2x6 to a 2x7 to a 3x5 to a 3x6.... and now they live in side by side 3x3s.
They got to a point that they just would not stop fighting and I was running out of ways to expand the cage.

My advice would be to always be ready to expand the cage if needed.
Boars can be something else.
Good luck :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.