Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior 2 month old sisters fighting....

PiggieMama07

Cavy Slave
I recently adopted two sister guinea pigs. They are avoiding each other and possesive over the hidey house. They keep doing 'butt tag' and aren't getting along. They did try to fight but were both okay and were stopped before anybody got hurt. I am getting a bigger cage and am hoping more space will solve their dilemma. Can anyone help give some insight?

NScotia

Cavy Slave
Hi there, welcome to the forum! :) How big is their current cage? No judgement - it's great you're getting a larger one! C&C cages are the best!!

PiggieMama07

Cavy Slave
Their temporary cage is a petstore cage. I had a hard time finding non-petstore piggies and jumped at the chance so their larger cage isn't done. I would love suggestions on a C&C cage because I would like it to be on top of a dresser. The dimensions on the dresser are 2x3ft if that helps at all. Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They're doing just fine. You need to get rid of any hideys that only have one door, and replace them with something with two doors. Temporarily, you can use an upside down shoe box, no lid, with doors cut in the ends.

You shouldn't stop their squabbles. Two month old pigs aren't going to do each other any harm, and they've got to figure out who is boss pig. You should only intervene if there's actual blood being shed.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners:

You do need, or will need when they're older, an adequate sized cage to keep them from fighting for real. How large is your cage?

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

PiggieMama07

Cavy Slave
Cage Dimensions: 16 1/2 inches by 28 1/2 inches. New cage plans come out to a 12 foot area which is over the 1 sq. meter reccomendation. It will be two levels and they'll have seperate food and stuff. This is if I can't find an appropriate C&C. I have to check coroplast availability.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
In that small cage, take ALL the furniture out. Make them some hideys by draping fleece across the corners, or hanging a fleece forest for them to hide in. And HURRY with a bigger cage!

PiggieMama07

Cavy Slave
I'll post it. It will be done in a couple days.

PiggieMama07

Cavy Slave
I have a few questions about a cage. Do I post them here or on a new thread?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can post them here.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
You should give them some extra floor time in the meantime, while they're living in the smaller cage. Babies like to run!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.