Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blankets My older blankets don't control smell as well as the newer ones?

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
I use two layers of towels + fleece blankets for my pig's bedding.
I recently got another set so I can just change out their bedding more often, without having to wash so often. Anyways, the blanket I got is the same exact brand and bought from the same place, so that's not an issue.

But it was so soft, I forgot how soft my old blankets used to be until I bought this one. I bought one that looked exactly like my older blankets too, to ensure that the old ones really did feel this way.

Anyways, I had the new blankets in for 4 days before it began to smell and I needed to change them.
I changed them with my old blankets, just washed, and it's been less than 24 hours and it already stinks in there!

I wicked the newer blankets 2x before putting into the cage.
I'm thinking my older blankets may be TOO wicked (they've been washed many, many times over and very obviously feel different from the newer blankets). I'm thinking of putting some fabric softener in with them to hopefully de-wick them some, and hopefully that will help?

Not sure, but I need this smell issue gone :/ Do you think the fabric softener idea may help? Any other ideas on why the newer blankets work better than the older, and how I can fix it other than buying new blankets every 2 months?

Don't use fabric softener because the fleece won't wick. It's new so it might not be just not be wicking well enough yet.

It sounds to me like your older set may need to be stripped. Basically a process where all the junk and build up from previous washes gets washed out of the material. Its whats done with cloth diapers too ;) I've stripped towels and sheets and even hubbys work clothes before and it's almost like brand new now. I use stripping powder from A Happy Green Life. I know the store here sells their laundry wash, they might sell thr stripping powder too. Otherwise AHGL has their own online shop too

pinky - the problem is with the older blankets, not the newer blankets. The new ones work wonderfully.

Momma - i'll definitely look into this stripping powder!

When I wash my cage liners I put a half a scoop of borax in and a scoop of arm and hammer washing soda. I use my regular laundry soap also. I wash them in hot water only and dry them in the dryer. This is how I always washed my cloth diapers and so far my cage liners come out squeaky clean and last 4 to 5 days each with no smell. My piggy is the only member of our household who gets hot water used on his laundry. Guess he's spoiled!!!

I use hot water, laundry detergent and a capful of bleach (in order to kill away poo bacteria). Not too sure what Borax is, will have to give that a search, but I can definitely get some arm and hammer!

Curious... would baking soda work the same way? I know that's used for cleaning too.

i think the arm and hammer washing soda has got baking soda in it. Baking soda is a great deodorizer on its own for sure. Borax is a detergent booster and germ killer. It is a fungicide and I really like it for stinky laundry like dirty work clothes etc.

Thank you DawnM, your help is greatly appreciated :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.