Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Media Petition to Stop Live Animal sales in Petsmart and Petco

Amanda Branch

Cavy Slave
I signed it through Facebook : )

GuineaPigParty

Cavy Slave
Where will you get small animals if you can't get them from a pet shop?

I mean most small animals that come to rescues and shelters are from owners who bought small animals from pet shops.

If the pet shops don't sell animals the economy can fall (the factory's who make food,cages,bedding, etc.)

I am not promoting pet shops at all I am just saying it can cut off lots of jobs and doesn't seem to solve the problem.

It is not right how some people treat animals, maybe this is the area to look at to help.

It is just something to think about.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Where will you get small animals if you can't get them from a pet shop?

I mean most small animals that come to rescues and shelters are from owners who bought small animals from pet shops.

If the pet shops don't sell animals the economy can fall (the factory's who make food,cages,bedding, etc.)

I am not promoting pet shops at all I am just saying it can cut off lots of jobs and doesn't seem to solve the problem.

It is not right how some people treat animals, maybe this is the area to look at to help.

It is just something to think about.

Dogs and cats where once sold in pet shops, they're not any more, have you noticed a sudden disappearance of dogs and cats in rescues needing homes? No, there are still hundreds of thousands of dogs and cats that are sitting in a rescue centre waiting for a home to go to.

Plenty of pet supply shops get by just fine, I live near a shop that sells only supplies and they've been open for 10 years. People can still work in a pet shop if all it sells is supplies, because people still need a place to buy supplies.

Pipandpoppy

Cavy Slave
I agree but some pet shops are very nice and kind to their animals
one near me is lovely.
nearly every time you go in the lady has one on her knee and when she walks by they squeak.

Pipandpoppy

Cavy Slave
one near me is lovely.
nearly every time you go in the lady has one on her knee and when she walks by they squeak.
But most don't :(

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
one near me is lovely.

It's not just about how nice they are, it's about where the pets come from. They're bred back-to-back over and over again to produce cute babies to be sold, which eventually kills the sow. They're kept in cruel conditions while this happens to them. None of this happens in the store, it happens in a breeding mill, but the stores knowingly buy from those mills. If pets weren't sold in stores, large scale breeding mills would serve no purpose. I know lots of pet store staff that are lovely to the animals, but that isn't the main issue really.

GuineaPigParty

Cavy Slave
@Princess_Piggie

We blame the pet shops when it is really the breeders fault.

Love is to expensive for the breeders.

And yes there are lots of dogs and cats that need homes but that is a different situation.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
No, it's the pet shops fault for buying from those breeders when they're aware of the conditions the pigs are bred, kept, and then proceed to die in.

I'm not blaming the girl working at the till when you pick up some hay, I'm blaming the heads of corporation choosing to purchase pigs that are products of breeding mills.

No, it's not really a different situation IMO. They're all homeless animals that need to be given a chance. The difference in situation really, is that purchasing a dog/cat as opposed to rescuing has become more difficult, so more people are vying toward adoption.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
one near me is lovely.

This isn't about pet shops as a whole. This is about Petco and Petsmart. 2 pet stores that are absolutely aware of the conditions small animals are kept and bred in. And yet they continue to support these conditions by purchasing from these breeding mills.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
And yes there are lots of dogs and cats that need homes but that is a different situation.

How is that a different situation?
Dogs and cats were once sold in pet stores. Pet stores stopped selling them and there is still an overwhelming amount of them needing homes.

The same will be said about small animals. When pet stores stop selling them there will still likely be an overwhelming amount needing homes. Why? BREEDERS. Breeders will always be here. Constantly using animals as an easy source for money. Now, I'm not talking about responsible breeders. I am talking about the backyard breeders. The ones who will sell the animals to anyone with money.

guinnymom23

Cavy Slave
Petsmart in our town is affiliated with the Humane Society, they have an adoption area for cats/kittens in the store, if the Humane Society is already present, aren't the staff made more aware of how to treat the small animals too?

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Rescues use chain pet stores as a way of promoting adoption, obviously a lot of people think pet stores are the gospel on pet care, so if they go, see an adoption table, they'll think 'ah, it petco/smart endorses this, I might give it a go'.

I think a lot of staff are very up to date on how to treat the animals, but, that doesn't mean they don't still come from a terrible place. Plus, regardless of how lovely (or not) they are to the animals, they still miss-sex, put males and females together, miss illnesses, ignore illnesses, and give out incorrect information. Of course that doesn't go for every staff member in every petco/smart, it's a generalisation of what I've heard based on others experiences.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Petsmart in our town is affiliated with the Humane Society, they have an adoption area for cats/kittens in the store, if the Humane Society is already present, aren't the staff made more aware of how to treat the small animals too?

Every Petsmart AND Petco I've seen is affiliated with a rescue and has an adoption area for the cats.

GuineaPigParty

Cavy Slave
How is that a different situation?
Dogs and cats were once sold in pet stores. Pet stores stopped selling them and there is still an overwhelming amount of them needing homes.

The same will be said about small animals. When pet stores stop selling them there will still likely be an overwhelming amount needing homes. Why? BREEDERS. Breeders will always be here. Constantly using animals as an easy source for money. Now, I'm not talking about responsible breeders. I am talking about the backyard breeders. The ones who will sell the animals to anyone with money.

I didn't see this the way you do but now I understand.

--------------------------------------------------
I didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers.

And if I did I am Sorry.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
It's okay, everyone has different opinions and that's fine! It's just as this forum is anti-pet store, you're bound to get a strong reaction when you defend a pet store. But either way, I think this is the entire point of this site, when someone can't see an issue (i.e pet stores selling live animals) from more than one angle, it gets explained and they can make a more informed decision on their stance :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.