Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Buddy Bath check list!

Rach84

Cavy Slave
So as some of you already know I am looking to expand my cages an get woody a new friend! Just want to make sure when I find the right pig I am all ready to get them introduced an sorted!
I've heard people talk about buddy baths to help pigs bond - is it best to let them meet in a neutral place then try a bath or just let them meet during the bath? Xx

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
I don't know if it'll work because I haven't tried it yet, but I'm bringing home my two new boys, wrapped up in a towel that has my original pigs scent. I'm hoping they will end up smelling like him and he won't be grumpy.

I'll probably try a neutral area first and if that doesn't work buddy bath

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think a buddy bath is generally considered the last resort. But I doubt the world will end if you do it the other way round.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I agree with @bpatters. A buddy bath generally isn't used as an introduction tool. It's used as a last resort if they have been living together and are still not getting along. You have to give introductions a chance. Let them sort it out. If the cage is large enough, there are enough hideys with multiple exits and they still aren't getting along after a month or so, THEN maybe a buddy bath but there's no reason to jump right to the bath.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.