Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pig lover seeking perspective and advice on the loss of her pigs.

lawngnome78

Cavy Slave
How much lettuce have you been giving him? A LARGE handful or just a regular one? If they were bloated, it could cause death quickly with few other symptoms. Lettuce can cause bloat, but probably not in appropriate proportions. Otherwise, you'd basically have to be giving him poison to cause them to pass away that quickly. Chances are it was nothing of your doing. I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

We gave him a small handful once in the morning and again at dinner time, about a half cup total for the whole day. Thank you for your kind words and support!

Last edited:

lawngnome78

Cavy Slave
It was probably not contaminated. I do not give my guinea pigs organic produce. Organic is probably better for them, but I wouldn't think nonorganic could kill your piggie. I'm sure it's not your fault. :)

How long was he limp for?

We always did the pre-washed, ready-to-eat lettuce so I'm wondering if maybe it had salmonella that we were not aware of? I've had a few people tell me they even wash that lettuce. I always thought that was overkill, though. The bag was nearly gone though by the time he died, so he had several meals over 3-4 days out of that bag.

He was playing and normal, went limp and died probably minutes later.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I highly doubt it was because of his lettuce. I hope that brings you great comfort. :D Nothing to feel bad about here. :)

Also, are you positive it was just like BAM and he was dying in minutes? Did you step out of the room for a few hours and come back, and he was like this? Just making sure I have the facts straight. :)

lawngnome78

Cavy Slave
I highly doubt it was because of his lettuce. I hope that brings you great comfort. :D Nothing to feel bad about here. :)

Also, are you positive it was just like BAM and he was dying in minutes? Did you step out of the room for a few hours and come back, and he was like this? Just making sure I have the facts straight. :)

He was alive, playing, being his normal self, then he just went limp. My husband and little bro were playing with him at the time then when he went limp my husband called me into the room. He seemed to try to take a few big gasps of air, stretching his mouth open, I tried looking in his mouth to see if he was choking, but saw nothing. I held him and tried snapping him out of it and when we decided emergency vet care was the next step, I realized he was gone.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
Wow. That's pretty sudden! It really had to be a freak thing. Seeing that there were NO other symptoms beforehand.. it had to have been. From what I've read and experienced with my pig, normally it is on a decline of at least an hour. Whether it's a heart problem, stroke, dehydration, bloat, whatever, normally they decline.

Guinea pigs try to hide their illnesses, but whenever they are on death's door, obviously they can't. So, this blows my mind.

You often hear that guinea pigs go downhill fast. They do, but they normally don't just drop dead. I'm not doubting you, I'm just saying this is beyond me. I don't know that there is much that anyone could have done, or known to do. Don't feel bad. :)

Just out of curiosity, was there a lot of poo in his cage? Did it look normal? How much food and water had been eaten/drinken?

lawngnome78

Cavy Slave
Believe me, it blows my mind too. Makes no sense to me. Just cleaned both of his cages that morning, he had normal poos, was behaving just like he would any other day, was happy to eat his lettuce that morning. Never was a big water drinker, took him a while to empty his bottle. That's the way it was since day one, though.

He did tricks, too. This guy was smart and knew "up, Denny!" And would stand on his hind legs for a carrot!

guinnymom23

Cavy Slave
Do u mind me asking what kind of lettuce u were giving him?

natsmom26

Cavy Slave
So sorry for your lost. I don't really have any ideas, but I would not think poison or illness would hit that suddenly. A death that sudden sounds like a natural cause.

lawngnome78

Cavy Slave
Do u mind me asking what kind of lettuce u were giving him?

Sure, no problem. I appreciate all the help! Usually it was a romaine or romaine mix with carrots and cabbage shredded (spring mix).

guinnymom23

Cavy Slave
I would agree then that it wasn't the lettuce...I am so sorry for your loss, it does sound like it may have been a heart attack?

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
Sure, no problem. I appreciate all the help! Usually it was a romaine or romaine mix with carrots and cabbage shredded (spring mix).
Yep, it doesnt sound like it was the foods. Didn't mean to make you feel bad!
It sounds like some sudden freak thing. Really sad. :(

lawngnome78

Cavy Slave
Yep, it doesnt sound like it was the foods. Didn't mean to make you feel bad!
It sounds like some sudden freak thing. Really sad. :(

You did not make me feel bad at all! In fact, everyone is being so supportive and I appreciate it so much!! :)

lawngnome78

Cavy Slave
There are so many guinea pigs in need of good homes that I think you should considering getting another guinea pig or two.

Pinky, I know I should. I thought I was a good pig mother. And I truly love the little guys. I guess I just need time. After only having Wilbur for less than two years, I felt robbed. Then having Denny only 4 months, I really felt ripped off! I've never had two losses like that so close together; it was odd trying to grieve the second one when the wound from the first one was so fresh. Now they're both in the ground and I have a pigless house. They both had so much personality, I guess that's why I expected them to live longer.

I bet once I receive the results from the necropsy I can put this behind me, celebrate the life he had, and consider taking in another one to spoil and love. Thank you all for taking me in here and listening to my tale of woe! :)

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss. :( I hope you can get some info soon. Also, you don't have to feel bad for anything. I'm sure it wasn't you. :)

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss. :( I hope you can get some info soon. Also, you don't have to feel bad for anything. I'm sure it wasn't you. :)
Probably not. It is so weird to lose two in half a year, but you know lots about them and take great care of them, so it is probably just a horrible coincidence. :(

guinnymom23

Cavy Slave
I would agree with @GuineaPigster, it was just a horrible coincidence. Hopefully, when you're ready you can welcome more gps to your loving home...there are enough out there looking for their forever homes that I'm sure you'll find some that will fit in perfectly.

lawngnome78

Cavy Slave
I wish you all a wonderful thanksgiving and as soon as I find out the results of the necropsy I will share them with you. I miss having a pig in this house, but my husband is not on board yet since we are still mourning. I know in my heart there is a pig out there waiting to be spoiled and he'll get there eventually, too.

Thank you for all of your help!

lawngnome78

Cavy Slave
This just in: I was waiting on pins and needles for the results that I knew were due this week. They finally came yesterday and unfortunately, nothing abnormal was found. I have a hard time believing that, considering he was so active, healthy and normal until the moment he died in my hands. But at least I can rest assured (I think) that he did not perish at the cause of unclean produce or unclean water. I sure do miss having a little pig to cuddle and take care of. My heart is open to the next one and I'm checking out craigslist. Thank you all again for the support. I wish I had a better answer for you all (and myself).

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
This just in: I was waiting on pins and needles for the results that I knew were due this week. They finally came yesterday and unfortunately, nothing abnormal was found. I have a hard time believing that, considering he was so active, healthy and normal until the moment he died in my hands. But at least I can rest assured (I think) that he did not perish at the cause of unclean produce or unclean water. I sure do miss having a little pig to cuddle and take care of. My heart is open to the next one and I'm checking out craigslist. Thank you all again for the support. I wish I had a better answer for you all (and myself).

That's so sad. I'm sorry that you lost your piggies. It is strange that nothing was found to be wrong but undetermined deaths do happen.. and who knows why. But like you said he didn't perish because of anything you did or didn't do. Rest easy knowing that you made the time you had with him happy. :)

Good luck on finding your new piggy.. There's a special one just waiting for you to find him/her. :)

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
That is so strange!! I'm sorry you didn't get answers, but you took amazing care of them. :)
Good luck finding a new pig!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.