Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails/Nail Trimming Nail trimming techniques?

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
So from what I've read you should trim piggies nails roughly every 3 weeks? By that standard, and the fact they're scratching me now when I hold them when previously I couldn't feel the nails, mine are ready for their trim! My previous pigs nails where trimmed by my vet as I was just too worried about hurting them or cutting their quick, but I'm not in a position to be paying vets fees every 3 weeks for a trimming this time.

I've got a pair of small animal nail clippers, and a human pair, and I'm wondering which is safest and easiest to use etc? I've tried position both pairs over their nails a couple of times to get them used to it, and I feel like I can see what I'm doing better and have more control with my human ones. Also, I'm unfortunately doing this alone as there's no one to help me by holding the pig while I cut their nails, or vice versa, so does anyone have any advice on solo nail trimming?
Also any tips on avoiding the quick, or safe ways to clot the bleeding in case the quick is cut would be really useful.

Thanks in advance! :D

pinky

Cavy Slave
So from what I've read you should trim piggies nails roughly every 3 weeks? By that standard, and the fact they're scratching me now when I hold them when previously I couldn't feel the nails, mine are ready for their trim! My previous pigs nails where trimmed by my vet as I was just too worried about hurting them or cutting their quick, but I'm not in a position to be paying vets fees every 3 weeks for a trimming this time.

I've got a pair of small animal nail clippers, and a human pair, and I'm wondering which is safest and easiest to use etc? I've tried position both pairs over their nails a couple of times to get them used to it, and I feel like I can see what I'm doing better and have more control with my human ones. Also, I'm unfortunately doing this alone as there's no one to help me by holding the pig while I cut their nails, or vice versa, so does anyone have any advice on solo nail trimming?
Also any tips on avoiding the quick, or safe ways to clot the bleeding in case the quick is cut would be really useful.

Thanks in advance! :D

I use bird clippers. They're like mini cat clippers that look like tiny scissors. I hold most of mine on my lap like a baby facing away from me. I start with the back legs and trim those first. If they fight me when I start the front, I put them on all fours facing away from me and lift the front foot with my left pointer finger with the rest of my left hand under them. I have one that I can lay on her back on my lap. I rub her belly and she relaxes. I can trim all her nail pretty easily. If she gets restless, I rub her belly some more. It's sort of funny. I saw someone else do that so I tried it. She's the only one of mine that allow me to do that, though. I use flour or cornstarch if I cut the quick too short and the nail bleeds.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
I've been practicing with them in that position, they don't seem to mind the position too much, but I remember my boars used to reeeally fight the vet over it after they realised what she was doing!

Would you say flour's effective? Just because I have some of that in at the minute already haha.
I'm taking them to the vets for their first trimming this week, just to get a sort of refresher course in how its done first hand.
Is it roughly every 3 weeks you do a trim then?

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've been practicing with them in that position, they don't seem to mind the position too much, but I remember my boars used to reeeally fight the vet over it after they realised what she was doing!

Would you say flour's effective? Just because I have some of that in at the minute already haha.
I'm taking them to the vets for their first trimming this week, just to get a sort of refresher course in how its done first hand.
Is it roughly every 3 weeks you do a trim then?

Flour and cornstarch are both effective. I think they're better than Quickstop because they don't sting. If you cut really short and it bleeds a lot, dip in flour or cornstarch and apply light pressure directly on the nail stub.

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
I use human nail clippers on Ginger's nails. I hold her in my lap/on my chest. She usually splays her toes out and I clip them.

Tricia_TD

Cavy Slave
I also use nail clippers. I've heard of some people wrapping a towel around their piggy to stop them from wriggling so much, but I've never tried that myself. On the odd occasion that I've cut the quick on black nails, I use Nail-Safe Styptic Powder, which stops the bleeding.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
That's a good idea! (the towel suggestion).

Last night I again, got them out for cuddles and before putting them back I just put them in a nail trimming position and put the clippers on the nails, without doing any clipping, to get them used to it. Daisy wriggled a bit but didn't mind too much. Minnie however, decided she really didn't care for it and I got a little nip on my hand!

Schweitz

Cavy Slave
What is the "nail trimming position?" I need to cut my boar's nails and I don't know how I'll hold him still. You stick anything near his feet at all he freaks... It's going to be hard. Never did it yet...

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
If you've got anyone who can assist with this, you're in luck, because with a wriggly pig, it can be a two person job. No worries though, you can do it alone!

First, get yourself a pair of clippers, as you can see there are quite a few options! Then, have plenty of your boars favourite veg to hand. Eating is a great distraction while you're giving him a trim. It'll hopefully help keep him still....

When you pick him up, pop him near your knee (sit down/kneel down) and just place his butt on your knee. Hold his top end with your hand, so he's sort of...cradled in your knee.

Tell you what, I'll get Daisy out now and post a picture in nail trimming position on this thread for you. Back in a tick :D

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
What is the "nail trimming position?" I need to cut my boar's nails and I don't know how I'll hold him still. You stick anything near his feet at all he freaks... It's going to be hard. Never did it yet...

Here we go! It's not the best quality photo because it's taken on my webcam, but hopefully you can see the general position.
Nail trimming techniques?
And as you can see, Daisy's being rewarded with a little bit of parsley for being so well behaved and posing for the picture :D (But you'll be providing the veggies while they're in the nail trimming position)
Nail trimming techniques?

So, as you can see from my hand placement in picture one, the hand around the pigs upper body can be used to keep the front paws in place. Simply take that top finger and place it above the front paw to keep a hold of it. And as you can see, you have a spare hand for trimming, and for providing yummy veggies in between clips as rewards.

I would suggest if possible, take your boar to a good vet for his first clip and watch first hand how it's done so you can really get a feel for it before going at it yourself. That's the best option, but if not, as an alternative, watch a high quality you tube video on it where you can really see how every little thing's done :) Good luck!

Schweitz

Cavy Slave
Here we go! It's not the best quality photo because it's taken on my webcam, but hopefully you can see the general position.
View attachment 57930
And as you can see, Daisy's being rewarded with a little bit of parsley for being so well behaved and posing for the picture :D (But you'll be providing the veggies while they're in the nail trimming position)
View attachment 57931

So, as you can see from my hand placement in picture one, the hand around the pigs upper body can be used to keep the front paws in place. Simply take that top finger and place it above the front paw to keep a hold of it. And as you can see, you have a spare hand for trimming, and for providing yummy veggies in between clips as rewards.

I would suggest if possible, take your boar to a good vet for his first clip and watch first hand how it's done so you can really get a feel for it before going at it yourself. That's the best option, but if not, as an alternative, watch a high quality you tube video on it where you can really see how every little thing's done :) Good luck!
Thank you! Just clipped his nails (had someone else do it while I held him). He wasn't too bad surprisingly but it was kind of hard. Now he's eating a nice big chunk of apple. :)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Don't kid yourself, it won't be easier next time FYI haha! If they don't like it on round one, when he see's them coming in a few weeks time he'll be wiggling like heck. But in the back of his mind he'll know there's a piece of apple coming so he might wiggle a little less when he realises that. Well done! :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.