Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Goodbye my sweet little Chestnut piggie

webjetter

Cavy Slave
I’m so devastated … after losing my piggie buddy PJ back in February, my heart is broken again. We’ve lost our last piggie Chestnut. She died on my lap. One comfort is knowing that she went peacefully and didn't have to die all alone. She's been by herself for 8 months since her lifelong buddy PJ died. I was there for her right until her last breath at the last moment ... she left the world being cuddled and consoled with warm words and gentle petting, knowing how much she was loved.

I already miss Chestnut so much. She was part of our family for almost 7 years. She was the sweetest little girl, so smart and always entertaining and affectionate. I loved how when I picked her up to cuddle her every night, every once in a while she'd just start kissing my hand at least a couple of times. She was a laid back easygoing piggie, but fiesty when she needed to be, full of personality. I also loved how she would ALWAYS pop out and say hi whenever I came over to her, even if she was napping. I will miss all the assorted cute little sounds she made, the way she’d watch me while I worked at my computer, the way her little ear twitched when she was sound asleep in my lap enjoying complete relaxation and contentment, the way she’d pull stunts to get treats and extra food, the way she’d whistle at 7:30am to wake us up for breakfast, and so much more. Our baby had a good, long, happy, rich life being treated like royalty all her days in our family.

Losing her like this was so unexpected. Though she had been through a very serious health crisis a week after PJ died, she's been fighting strong and –- to our delighted amazement and awe –- she recovered from that with lots of dedicated help. Four months ago her breathing changed, the vet couldn’t figure out what was causing it and tried courses of two different medications to see if they would help but neither remedy seemed to make much of a difference. For a couple of days she seemed a bit mopey and picked at her food, we thought it was her chewing problem returning. Then about an hour before she died she looked lethargic, but then trotted across the cage to come get her medicine as usual, but her legs gave out when she ran. That’s when I picked her up to comfort her. We had no idea this was the end. She never got to see her bed again, she just went limp and stopped breathing as I gently spoke to her and pet her.

By the light of a flashlight my husband and I dug a tiny little grave right next to PJ's in the back yard. I couldn't stop crying. Just like with PJ, I pet Chestnut for the last time and said my goodbyes as I lowered her shoebox casket into the earth. I'm going to order a matching headstone for her just like PJ's. And there the two little favorite pets of my entire life will be, together, memorialized.

So now I have to pick up the pieces again, this time it's especially heartwrenching because now there are no more piggies to love. My heart and body are sick. Now in the room sits an empty cage, no sweet little faces to greet me when I come home, no excited critters jumping around first thing in the morning to welcome the day. No tiny little four footed family members to warm my heart and delight my soul. I will miss that. I feel the need to move things around in the room, after I take away the cage I just can't bear to look at the big empty place where it was, that spot that held such happiness which I enjoyed over a dozen times every day for over 6 years. Just an empty space? Way too sad. I’ll probably move my desk into that space and get some cozy furniture to read in for the other side of the room. I have some of my favorite photos of PJ & Chestnut on the wall, and thousands on my computer that I will enjoy and relive so many happy memories to uplift my heart. Guinea pigs have always been and will always be my favorite critters on the planet, and these two girls were by far the most cherished friends in the animal kingdom I have ever loved.

My life has been forever touched by these two little special fuzzy buddies, the orange and black butterball PJ and the silky soft brown and golden Chestnut who loved me. Since the day I first laid eyes on them, they have tickled my heart, nurtured my soul, delighted my thoughts, changed my world, and filled a special corner of my heart that will always be theirs. Thank you PJ and Chestnut for what you've given me. It was my pleasure for your entire long lives to happily give you only the very best in return.

Attachments

CHESTNUT MEMORIAL PHOTO,.jpg

webjetter

Cavy Slave
I also would like to express how truly truly grateful I am to have found this forum when I first got my piggies in 2007. When I had guinea pigs as a child in the 1970’s, there wasn’t a lot of information about how to take care of them. There were a few books, and my piggies had good lives, but what a world of difference now. The shared knowledge, advice and camaraderie through this forum have been so valuable to me. This is where I learned how to give my girls the best of everything: diet, hay, nutrition, CAGE, emotional needs, toys, medical needs, and more. This is a place where I could “gather” with thousands of other people who treasure piggies like I do. We are a unique group of people, joined by a common undying love for these beautiful creatures God has created and delighted us with. I also discovered GuineaLynx through here, which has also been a valuable resource.

A wholehearted thank you to the originators, administrators, and fellow members. Thanks to you guys, I was able to give my girls the highest quality of life all their days. Knowing how much I gave them is one of the few things that consoles my broken heart. Their lives were overflowing with everything they could ever need or want, and I know I delighted their tiny hearts as much as they delighted mine. It’s the end of an era for me, but my life has been enriched to new levels by those two little fluffy soul mates who will always remain part of my world.

alphilip77

Cavy Slave
I'm so very sorry for your loss. 6+ years is a FANTASTIC quality of life for a guinea pig and you are truly fortunate to have been blessed by their presence for that amount of time. It hurts now, but as you've already attested they bring SO MUCH joy and enrichment to our lives, and that alone vastly outweighs this brief period of emotional pain that all pet owners must endure. I know you are grieving right now, but don't feel like this has to be the "end of an era" as far as owning guinea pigs (which I'm assuming you meant). Once you and your husband are strong enough emotionally please consider adopting another pair (or more) of guinea pigs into your lives. It wouldn't be replacing PJ and Chestnut, but rather honoring their memories by giving another creature a 2nd chance at life. Again, you have my deepest sympathies. RIP Chestnut.

guinnymom23

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
So sorry for your loss...but as previous poster mentioned, you still have the opportunity to provide the numerous gps currently waiting for their forever homes in rescues a loving place.

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Slave
Your story was so good. It made me cry. I am so sorry for your loss of sweet Chestnut, and hope she and PJ and running laps in Piggy Heaven. R.I.P sweet Chestnut and PJ.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm in tears as I read this. It is so hard to lose a pet, but just know she passed away being loved and taken care of. You did what you should to keep her comfortable.

RandomCavy

Cavy Slave
I nearly cried reading your story. I am so sorry for your loss :(

Artista

Cavy Slave
OMG, I'm crying reading how wonderful Chestnut was. So adorable. Be comforted that as much as she gave you, you gave to her as well. May she rip.

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry. I can tell from reading your post how much you loved and cherished Chestnut and PJ.

Mercedes

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss. :( They lived good lives, and you were a great owner :)

webjetter

Cavy Slave

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
I am crying, I am so sorry for your loss. I felt like I knew Chestnut by your story. Beautiful. When the time comes, there are lots of piggies waiting for a new home just like yours. Thinking of you tonight.

Fick2010

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss. Just remember you gave chestnut a good life. She died feeling the love you gave her.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.