Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Advice on floor plans for rabbit cage

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Can someone tell me what you use as a base for you rabbit cage? What should I put down? I was thinking about buying a rug and turning it upside down. Would this be appropriate? If anyone has build a C&C cage for a rabbit please post them here.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
My cage is a 2x4, three stories high. Guinea pigs live on the top floor. The bottom two floors make up the bunny cage--there's a shelf halfway up. The door is always open, my buns have free range all the time. The whole thing sits on a piece of plywood with coasters underneath for ease of moving and vacuuming. The floor of the cage is a flat piece of coroplast, with rugs on top of that.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I used linoleum over plywood and then gave my rabbit small carpet squares in areas not near the litter box or food/water. My cage was 2x3, three grids high with two levels, I had two mini rexes in it. My rabbits were given free range whenever I was home and put away at night. They were untrustworthy bunnies. lol

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Rabbits need a lot of space. If they are not free roaming most of the time, a large x pen works best for containment. We used the rubber exercise/play mats that interlock under the x pen. Mine never dug at it or chewed it so it worked great since it was easy to clean and move around if needed. You can get a big bag of these mats at Costco.

Rayen

Cavy Slave
The only real way to tell if flooring will be appropriate is knowing how your rabbit behaves. The rug may work for some rabbits, others may just dig/chew through it in a matter of hours.

Essentially, if you're unsure about anything being put in the cage the best rule is to think something along the lines of 'can this be chewed on/dug up?' if the answer is yes, and anything that is ingested can be harmful, it's best to find another solution.

Can you call the place you're getting your rabbit to ask what kind of flooring they use already? Or even just ask how destructive they think he is? If his chewing can be aimed towards healthy things like hay, boxes, paper, etc. you should be fine with most non-slippery flooring solutions.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
The rabbit is coming from a lady that took them in from a friend who couldn't afford them anymore. She is rehoming them because she doesn't have enough room for them. It is currently in a small wire bottom cage. She said it chews on it's wooden nest box but that's about it. I plan to allow it to free range once it can be trusted a bit more with litter training. We will allow it out while we are here, which is pretty much all the time. I built a 2X3 cage, that has two levels for him to jump up to. I made the first level 3/4 high and the second 1/4 of the way through the second grid. It is a small rabbit, only about 1 1/2 pounds and the size of a pint sized mason jar when it stands. male dwarf.jpg

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
He's a cutie! I think your cage sounds fine. Can't wait to see pictures.

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
Rabbits are messy animals for now atleast use a shower curtain wiwith fleece binder clipped a few inches up the sides or the hay and litter will become a mess.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My three rabbits aren't messy at all...most things I've read also say they're very clean animals and love their home to be clean...we had a lady come over the other day and she has 8 rescue rabbits and says they're very very clean with their house and get angry at her when she touches something of theirs!

They're easy to litter train, and are so smart!

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I bought a rug to put in the bottom of his cage. I am going to put shower curtain under the rug. I am going to buy some wood to cover my platform, but I'm taking down the second one that is higher, I may make it lower or just leave it down. I think it's too high. I didn't get him today like planned. The lady I'm getting him from is taking him to the vet to get his eye checked.

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
It ment with hay. They'll drag it arounf run around there cage and kick litter out.

And for the tall level. I would leave it in. It isn't to high, a rabbit that's small will easily jump that high. There back legs are so powerful.
They do really enjoy lots of levels.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I just got him home, and he's quite small. He wouldn't even attempt the short level! I'm going to just move the upper one down so that it is more accessible!

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Give him some time to get use to it all. It doesn't take rabbits long to figure out levels.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
He finally figured out how to get into his litter pan. I put his food in it to motivate him a little lol. I'm going to have to revamp my levels a bit. He is quite small and I don't want him to fall off the taller one.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
Rabbits aren't likely to fall off a level. They're more coordinated that way.
I've also used carpet, linoleum, tile, bath mats, old towels, untreated drywall, rubber mat... all at different times for cage floorings. It depends on the individual rabbit and what he decides to chew.
Any NIC cage I've made (rabbit version of c&c), it's taken a few days at least for bunny to get used to the upper levels.
Here's one of my NIC cages.IM000411.jpgIM000406.jpgsams x pen (2).jpg
The small one was a temporary cage. The other gives an example of an x-pen cage.
Keeping hay either in or above his litter pan should be a great motivator to get him in the litter box.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
His cage is two grids wide, two grids tall, and three grids long. There are currently two levels on it. I don't have pictures yet, I will post some once he's been able to settle in some. I put a shower curtain over my floor, with a rug over top. I'm going to leave it there unless he decides to chew, then I'll flip it over and see how he does then. I have a base for a store cage as his litter pan, and he's so tiny that he fits along with his pellets, veggie dish, and hay! My one guinea pig weighs more than him I'm pretty sure. He will be free range when we are home. He hasn't really done much besides give me some cuddles, and ate some hay. I hear him hop every once in awhile, but not much lol. Hopefully he likes his cage, it's got to be better than the wire bottom cage he's been in.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.