Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Re-Introducing Guinea Pigs - Stopping Fights

ClumzyPanda

Cavy Slave
My sow Custard has been in quarantine for a week now and has another week to go before she can go back with my other two piggies Cocoa and Chewy (also sows). She has an eye infection and can't be sleeping in the hay with the others, this has happened once before and it was a real mess trying to re-bond them so I thought I might get some tips. When we try getting them back together they always fight (mainly Cocoa and Custard, Chewy is a little sweetheart) so how do I stop this from happening?

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Did you try a buddy bath and changing the layout of the cage?(as well as cleaning it to remove previous pig scents)

ClumzyPanda

Cavy Slave
Custard's only just had a bath so she won't need another one for a while, but can I just have her there watching (for support) because all my piggies get scared of water, will that help bond them?

ClumzyPanda

Cavy Slave
today i had them in the run outside on the grass and they were rumblestrutting at first but after about five minutes they were too busy eating grass to care. I am going to keep doing this so they can get used to the presence of each other.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Constantly reintroducing pigs isn't necessary and actually creates a really stressful environment between them. Even if 1 of them just had a bath, I would still do a buddy bath because it could help them get along. After the bath, put them on clean towels with a big fresh pile of food. If you put them back onto the grass they can still smell their previous scents.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.