Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Everyone's rehoming, something in the air?

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I have been looking at Craigslist about everyday, looking for a terrarium and supplies so my husband can get a bearded dragon. I'm totally blown away right now, I have seen SO many rabbits and guinea pigs for sale and rehoming lately. When I stared looking for my boys, there were none, literally! Now there's at least 20 people rehoming their guinea pigs or rabbits. What's going on? Is there something in the air? I wish I could take all of them. I saw one ad, which was for two guinea pigs, and the pigs are kept in a rubber maid tote. Two boars. There's barely enough room to move! I couldn't believe it. Or there's a lady rehoming a bunch of bearded dragons, about six of them, and she is keeping them in a cardboard box! Totally blown away right now.

GuineaPigs2013

Cavy Slave
Wow seriously? Those people should not even own a piggie if they don't know how to keep them...

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Wow seriously? Those people should not even own a piggie if they don't know how to keep them...

I wanted to email them that LOL! I did email them, asking them to please make sure that the people they go to are knowledgable, and asking a couple other questions.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Weird, I'd expect that a month or two after Christmas when parents are unloading their kids' "Christmas gifts" (it makes me cringe to write that), but I don't see anything special about the beginning of October. I've been perusing Craigslist for hamsters and mice, and I can't even search for guinea pigs anymore. There's so many being rehomed, and I can't take any more.

It's so hard not to take in each one I see, but honestly I couldn't afford all of them! That's how many there are. It's ridiculous. Seems like every bad owner is trying to dump them on someone else at the same time.

Justine24

Cavy Slave
I know what you mean! I was looking on a local area pet page on facebook and saw that someone was selling their two full grown male guinea pigs and they were keeping them in a 15 gallon fish tank! I have two females and I can barely afford my girls otherwise I would be taking those pigs too! I also know someone that bought her daughter two male guinea pigs and didn't like the way they smelt inside with their cage and all so she put them outside in a small rabbit cage and one of them died from the heat :( People need to educate themselves on proper care of the type of animal they get before they get it!

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I know what you mean! I was looking on a local area pet page on facebook and saw that someone was selling their two full grown male guinea pigs and they were keeping them in a 15 gallon fish tank! I have two females and I can barely afford my girls otherwise I would be taking those pigs too! I also know someone that bought her daughter two male guinea pigs and didn't like the way they smelt inside with their cage and all so she put them outside in a small rabbit cage and one of them died from the heat :( People need to educate themselves on proper care of the type of animal they get before they get it!

I have a BAD habit of emailing these people about what they are doing wrong. One woman was rehoming the guinea pigs so they could get a cat. Like really? She says the cat would eat the guinea pigs. I told her if she wanted to rehome her pigs, fine, but don't use such a stupid excuse.

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave

oh my that is just awful, poor piggies :(
I have noticed the same increase in cragislist ads though.... my husband and I were searching CL for about 2 months earlier this year looking for a bunny to adopt and had no luck whatsoever, in a circle up to 1hr away from where we're at and we're in a pretty densly populated area. we finally found a bunny, literally the only ad at that time, have had him for 2 months now and now the ads for piggies and bunnies seem to be skyrocketing. out of all the ads, I have seen 2 where ppl house them in C&C cages but most of them tiny pet store cages.... I wish there was a way to educate more people more and raise awareness of how to properly care for those animals. maybe take an effort an email all those ppl on CL? has anyone tried this and found it to be effective?

Justine24

Cavy Slave
I emailed the one that was keeping her pigs in a fish tank and also talked to the one that had a piggy pass away! I was pretty upset when I found out she left her piggy outside in 90 degree whether and told her that she needed to move her other piggy inside immediately and gave her tips on how to keep the smell down. To me what their doing is neglect and they should be held responsible for it! If she's so worried about the cat and the pigs than she should get a top for her cage. Assuming she has them in a decent C&C type cage she could just buy a cover for it!

cheshirekris

Cavy Slave
It might be because of school. Or people going to college thinking they can take them or parents can take care of them but can't.

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
well honestly.... unless you live in a dorm that might not allow pets... personally I think it's the lamest excuse EVER to say you cant take care of your piggies/bunnies anymore because you're going to college.... I majored in Chemistry and Biology, with a minor in education and it was hella stressful for sure. quite a few of my friends doing the same in college had bunnies or piggies and no matter how busy we were there was always time for the animals. even if you're in school a lot, at the library or in the lab, you DO come home at some point during the day. even though there's usually always homework or studying we all take breaks at one point or another or simply dont do that much anymore after a long day at school so there is ALWAYS time for pets if you are commited to them. especially on the weekends. seriously..... what a horrible excuse....
(disclaimer... I am NOT trying to be judgemental or rude/mean. its just my personal opinion, sorry if it comes across wrong)

Rayen

Cavy Slave
When I was looking for a second pig for my guy, I went to kijiji and, ugh. I saw so many people trying to sell their animals and their cages for ridiculous prices trying to justify it by adding things like 'it's brand new! I just bought it last month!'. Why are you getting a pet, buying it a horrible cage (even if I was interested in your animal I would never want your cage), when you have no intention of actually keeping it for any length of time? I am not paying pet-store-prices for your crappy cage just so I can do you the favour of fixing your previous mistake in not doing even an hour of research.

I'll never understand why people want top dollar for their rehomed pets, it shouldn't be about the money you invested in the animal. It should be first and foremost finding your pet a high quality home where they can live a very good, long life.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I also have to say how disgusted I am with their outrageous "adoption" fees! Like really, if I don't take your animal you're just going to dump it somewhere, why would I PAY YOU $200? You're just going to throw it away anyways. Go get your drug money elsewhere (in my area that is a major reason people flip animals)

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Weird, I'd expect that a month or two after Christmas when parents are unloading their kids' "Christmas gifts" (it makes me cringe to write that), but I don't see anything special about the beginning of October. I've been perusing Craigslist for hamsters and mice, and I can't even search for guinea pigs anymore. There's so many being rehomed, and I can't take any more.

Too bad you aren't close to Michigan. There are two mice on Craigslist right now.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
These two are pets, the person in the post says that they are PETS and will remain PETS. SHe is rehoming because her dorms won't let her keep them.

StarTaleMaddnes

Cavy Slave
I actually got both my girls off Craigslist, only because there were no females in our local shelter at the time and I refused to use a breeder, and I was amazed at how many boys were up for adoption. I think a reason they're going up so much is because school started back up and kids who had plenty of time over the summer don't anymore, the woman we got Seras from said she was getting rid of her because she wasn't 'fun' anymore and then I later learned that they'd just lost there older guinea pig just a month before we got her. As far as the cat excuse goes that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, I quite literally have Satan in feline form and he doesn't give a damn about the girls, my mother had a guinea pig dropped on her doorstep about 27 years ago and she had 3 cats and little Orf scared the crap out of them. I even own a dog who loves to chase rabbits and with good training we're getting her to be mellow around the girls. Honestly I'm sorry for the rant but nothing pisses me off more than shitty owners who don't bother doing research. I spent two whole months reading up on guinea pigs online and from pet store books, before I seriously contemplated owning a guinea pig. I have fostered basset hounds since I was 10 years old and I can't stand people who neglect or mistreat there animals, I actually clocked an ex boyfriend and kidnapped his pit after he kicked her... that was an unintended rant, sorry

GuineaPigs2013

Cavy Slave
LOL! But its crazy how those poor piggies are in a c&c cage

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
LOL! But its crazy how those poor piggies are in a c&c cage

what pigs?
99% of the ads I see on craigslist have guinea pigs in (what i consider) neglectful conditions.
Pet Store cages
little to no hay
dirty bedding
FISH TANKS AS HOUSING!
improper food, etc etc

To this day, I have only seen TWO ads here in Orlando that had guinea pigs in a C&C cage.

Triksey

Cavy Slave
it's sad to see that this is happening all over the map... i try and stay off kijiji too, there's too many unwanted and uncared for piggies (and bunnies and...).. the positive thing i try and think about is i HAVE noticed a difference at our local pet valu's... larger cage set-ups with knowledgeable employees.... there's one in Fonthill that acutally had a C&C 2 level set-up with piggies...yeah for positive change!!

3GPigsplus1more

Cavy Slave
I wanted to email them that LOL! I did email them, asking them to please make sure that the people they go to are knowledgable, and asking a couple other questions.

September is usually another time of year where people give up their animals. They get them for the summer, let their kids have their fun and then when it is time to go back to school, they are given up. It is so sad how people feel these animals are just another disposable toy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.