Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy HI Everyone...I Think My Guinea Pig Is Pregnant

JessH1994

Cavy Slave
I got this guinea pig from an animal auction got them because I felt sorry for them, we think they were 6 week old when we got them and we have had them 6 week, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if she looks pregnant i've looked up on the internet and the guinea pig seems to be showing signs of pregnancy......Here is a picture of her.... HI Everyone...I Think My Guinea Pig Is Pregnant

PiggyLove1

Cavy Slave
Take her to the vet. Were you told she was a boy? The vet can sex her too.

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
Have you checked the sex of both guinea pigs? If one is a female and the other turns out to be a male (remove the male from the cage at this point), you could have a pregnant guinea pig on your hands.
Here's some information on sexing: https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html
Has your guinea pig been gaining weight? Or been more lethargic? I can't really tell from the picture, but it does look like she has a pear shape. I would take your cavy to an exotics vet to determine if its pregnant or not.

JessH1994

Cavy Slave
thanks everyone she has been gaining loads of weight i have compared both and they seem to be different sex, they got sold as two males and has been drinking excessive water too

JessH1994

Cavy Slave
HI Everyone...I Think My Guinea Pig Is Pregnanthere another picture of her

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
If you are unsure of gender seperate them till you are sure! If you have a female and she is pregnant the male can impregnate her immediately after birth which can be very dangerous!

Tomoko

Cavy Slave
Go to the vet, let her make an x-ray, then you'll be sure if she's pregnant or not. My sister has a few sows, same age as yours who are even fatter and also look pregnant, they got x-rayed, none of them was. So i suggest you go to a vet

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
@Tomoko , The bones for a pup arent mineralized enough until 6 weeks along

Tomoko

Cavy Slave
Then let the vet do a medical ultrasonic on your piggy. We did that with both of my guinea pigs, one with 6 weeks and one with 5 1/2 and my vet could see little tiny parts and then she told me they were both pregnant. And she was right as you see in my thread :)

But keep in mind, the vet should have alot of experiences with pregnant guinea pigs, my vet luckily does, i doubt a normal vet without experience could determine pregnancy in 5 1/2 and 6 week pregnant guinea pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.