Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

guineas pee is white what does it mean

terranceguineac

Cavy Slave
:? I am really scared he is sick because he only drinks water and he has been being this white stuff what does it mean

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
If it has a sludgy or powdery consistency, it's most likely calcium. Too much calcium in a pig's diet can cause white deposits in urine, and can eventually lead to stones. Cut back on the calcium. If you're feeding alfalfa hay, switch to orchard grass or timothy hay. If they get a lot of romaine lettuce, try switching to red or green leaf.

terranceguineac

Cavy Slave
I am feeding him timothy hay and I think he ate some human food or somthing we were giving him ice need letuce until I found out it wasn't good I even stopped eating it so I only feed him pellets right now and water.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How old is he? If he's young, it's not too much of a problem. If he's older, you want to try to control it.

It means he's excreting calcium in his urine. Very young pigs need a lot of calcium, so you don't want to restrict it. But older pigs don't, and excess calcium is implicated in bladder stones.

If your pig is under six months, he needs unlimited pellets. He needs hay ALL THE TIME, and lots of it. Your pig needs vegetables. You may have to teach him to eat them, but he needs a variety of lettuces (red and green leaf lettuce are good to avoid calcium problems) and bell peppers. He can have green beans, summer squash, tomatoes, herbs such as cilantro and parsley (again, avoid those if he's older), carrots, occasional fruit, and other things. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List for what he can eat and what he can't.

terranceguineac

Cavy Slave
He is eight months old we give him carrots and lettuce a couple times a week and hay every other day because he eats so much timothy hay and only the colored pellets so we leave the brown pellets he is spoiled and will even try to eat my food. He is sleeping under my blanket right now.

Khrisxtine

Cavy Slave
he needs hay every day! remember that they hay isn't just there to munch on when they are bored, but rather to help file down their back teeth, so please give him unlimited hay Everyday, this will also prevent any eating problems due to teeth problems.. definitely take a look at the list that was posted above for a list of things he can/can't eat.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List

terranceguineac

Cavy Slave
Thank you I will try also if I don't clean his water everyday which I do but my b f won't the bottle turns yellow could this have anything to do with it. He gets fresh food everyday I need to go get him more pellets because I give him a small amount but I clean it everyday. I used to give him a lot and he wouldnt eat it and would go to waste. I will defenitely give him hay everyday. I need to go to the store and get him more pellets and vegetables today.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Unless he's pooping and peeing in the pellets, you can just leave them in the cage. It won't hurt them -- there's no need to throw them away every day.

And if you'll look around for a feed store or a farmer that has grass hay, you can get it MUCH cheaper than buying it in the small bags at the pet store. Small bags is absolutely, hands-down, the most expensive way to get hay. You can order it online much cheaper than you can get it at a pet store. But if you can find a bale, it should cost you less than $10. Even if you don't have any way to store all of, you can still throw half of it away and still be way ahead of the game. I keep mine extra in a box in the garage.

He does need clean water, but I doubt that has anything to do with the calcium in the urine. What the yellow color could indicate, though, is that you have hard water. In that case, you need to filter it. Some refrigerators have filters on their water dispensers, and you could use that, but you'd need to be sure the filter gets changed regularly. Or, you could buy something like a Brita or a Pur pitcher with a filter on it.

terranceguineac

Cavy Slave
Yes we don't have one I don't drink the water in the house only bathe. But I use bottled water which I give him somtetimes if I don't finish mine ill just give him them bottled till we get the filter. Poor pig he ain't come out of hiding like he just wants to sleep in the blanket. Also I went to the pet store today and saw balls that were huge I know those are bad so why do they make those and the harnesses if they hurt them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They make those things because people who don't do their research on guinea pigs will buy them and the companies make money. It's sad, and lots of poor guinea pigs get tortured with balls and harnesses because people don't know any better.

Be patient, and offer him something he likes to eat every time you go close to the cage. Even if it's just a bit of his hay, or a tiny of piece of fruit -- anything he'll eat. He may not take it from your hand at first, but he'll come to associate you with good things, and then he'll be more sociable. Guinea pigs also do better with another guinea pig, so if you're able to, it would be a good idea to look for a male or spayed female for him.

terranceguineac

Cavy Slave
Yes I saw one today that was bogged than him that was spotted and white he jumped out of my hands but I piled him he jumped right hack in his cage I want another one but it will be more in finances ill talk to ky b f about it bc he bought me terrance. Yes it is sad. I have seen feretts on them do they pike them bc they are crazy hyper.

terranceguineac

Cavy Slave
Yes I will do that as well. Thanks everyone for the help

terranceguineac

Cavy Slave
I wish he wasn't so picky about his food it is crazy to get him to eat his pellets. I would not ever do that either. My guinea pig doesn't like outside that much he does not move but just stays on me. It would be pointless as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.