Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sexing Help with sexing and possible pregnancy?

sikka12

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone!
Soo... Yeah, I have quite a situation at hand, and decided to join this website (been lurking around for some weeks now) to ask all of you some questions regarding my guinea pigs, I hope your ready for quite a long post! You see, I just recently got my very first guinea pig - a male who I named Percy. He's going to turn one in July, and he's my very first guinea pig :) Since I had virtually no experience with guinea pigs, I just purchased him from a petstore. I live in Denmark, where we don't really have any many rescue centers, and I couldn't find anyone who was selling/giving their guinea pigs away, so buying it was! Now I know that it wasn't exactly the brightest idea... But anyways, after reading up on guinea pigs, I decided to get Percy a friend, which ended up being a young male who I named Sherlock. Turns out, Sherlock is probably a Sherly. The guy who sold her/him to me just said, ''oh, they're all males!'' And little naive me believed him, no questions asked.
Now, after checking Princess (since I'm unsure wheter or not Sherlock is a girl or boy, my sister and I just decided to call her/him Princess since he/she sure acts like one!) over myself, I'm left feeling torn, as Princess sure seems to be lacking some pretty important things down there! Percy is clearly a boy, and they'd been living together for almost a month now (I separated them three days ago when I tried sexing Sherlock) and I'd had noticed some odd behavior, like Percy strutting around Princess, rumbling up a storm, Princess lifting her butt to Percy, and that Princess was eating/drinking/growing more as time passed. I saw Percy mounting Princess a couple of times the first week after living together, but I simply passed it off as them trying to figure out who was the more dominant between them.
Now I'm almost positive that Princess IS a girl and also pregnant. She's getting fatter every day (just going to call Princess a girl here on), and getting quite pear shaped. It looks and feels like she has to ''lumps'' on both sides of her belly, and initially I thought she'd gotten ovarian cysts, but she isn't showing any of the symptons for it... I'm calling a vet tomorrow, as I want both of them checked over (Percy has tiny, white worms crawling around his fur, and is constantly scratching and losing fur. pet shop. Go figure.), so will be asking the vet (the clinic is very experienced with guinea pigs and rabbits) to confirm it. But since I'm impatient and nervous/excited, I thought I'd ask you guys for some help - I'll attach some pictures of Princess' 'privates' and some other pictures. She looks way fatter in real life, and I couldn't get a good shot of the most visible ''lump'' on her left side, but any help is appreciated!

Attachments

image.jpg image[1].jpg image[3].jpg image[5].jpg image[6].jpg

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
that pretty much looks like a girl to me, i dont see little balls around her. if you press slightly above that 'Y' shape, the piggypeepee might emerge IF it's a boy.

AllThesePiggies

Cavy Slave
Definitely looks like a girl to me. From your pictures, I really can't tell if she's pear-shaped or not, but I think it's just because of the way her fur is. Good luck! I don't know much about pregnancy unfortunately. :eek:

sikka12

Cavy Slave
Will be taking them both to the vet tomorrow, so the mystery will finally be solved! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.