Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grooming Clipper recommendations

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've decided to invest in some good clippers to trim my texels. I'd be interested in recommendations from anyone who's used different brands and can compare them. I'm looking for clippers that are quiet, have a durable blade that stays sharp for a reasonable amount of time and has reasonably priced replacement blades. Suggestions regarding best prices would be appreciated, too.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I am a groomer and I can recommend these brands: Andis, Oster and Wahl. These companies make a variety of products for both people and dogs/cats.

piggiepigpigs75

Cavy Slave
I use the super pet nail trimmers that can be found at petsmart and petco(i got mine from petsmart, so i am not sure about petco) and are about $5

Kermit_Koeller

Cavy Slave
the andis ultra edge is one of the quietest i've used (I'm a dog groomer). It is a bit spendy, but will last you YEARS and blades are reasonable

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I've never used a clipper to trim my pigs, I usually scissor them, but I do groom my dogs. I use the Oster Golden A5 clipper set. I love it, it does a great job on my doggies.
Oster® Pro Golden A5® Single Speed Clipper

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
I use Wahl as well. I trimmed my silkie about every 2 months for 3 years with the same one. I also trimmed my 2 human boys hair with it every 2 months as well. I oiled it often and cleaned it really well after every use.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I am a groomer and I can recommend these brands: Andis, Oster and Wahl. These companies make a variety of products for both people and dogs/cats.

I read that all three are good. I'm looking for which model is best for a guinea pig, which is quieter and has high quality blades.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I use the super pet nail trimmers that can be found at petsmart and petco(i got mine from petsmart, so i am not sure about petco) and are about $5

I'm looking for fur clippers.

pinky

Cavy Slave
the andis ultra edge is one of the quietest i've used (I'm a dog groomer). It is a bit spendy, but will last you YEARS and blades are reasonable

Thanks. I'll check it out.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I use Wahl as well. I trimmed my silkie about every 2 months for 3 years with the same one. I also trimmed my 2 human boys hair with it every 2 months as well. I oiled it often and cleaned it really well after every use.

What model is it? Thanks.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Mine was the 2nd cheapest one in the walmart isle! :D Paid about $30 for it. Seems to have been working out great for me! I did end up getting a new one(tho there was nothing wrong with the old one) last year so I could have one separate for people and piggies! I pitched the old one recently since my sheltie pig died this fall and I had no more use for it. The noise didn't seem to bug Gus Gus as much as the buzz feel. He would try to kick it away! LOL

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
If you want a good quality one for animal hair, skip the kind you find at Target. Order from the websites themselves. I order my grooming supplies frm Groomers Choice.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Well my current model is this:

(broken link removed)

Which was similar to the old one.

Probably would be better to get a pet one but IMO I'd rather but a half way decent one and not break the bank than a top of the line item (because I generally get the dud!! LOL). Plus I figured if it went flop in 90 days I could return it to walmart instead of having to ship it back!

Kermit_Koeller

Cavy Slave
as far as quality blades, the snap on kind are universal. you can put oster blades on an andis or wahl blades on an oster or whatever. same stuff. everyone in my salon uses andis blades.

soopermum62

Cavy Slave
I used (broken link removed) to clip my Persian's & Maine Coon Cat's belly and sensitive areas when they get/got knots. It is small, and I have had them 10 plus years! I still haven't changed blades. I also use it to trim hair on my dogs paw pads and other sensitive areas and behind their ears. My main set of clippers is the (broken link removed). I use these for a full body clips on my dogs and Madison my Maine Coon Cat. (she does not like to be combed) and she gets too hot in the summer, so I shave her. She loves it! If I needed to trim my piggies, I would use the smaller ones because they DON'T get hot. The Andis clipper blades will get hot if you don't keep the blades clean and enough oil on them.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Clipper blades will get hot whether you clean/oil them or not. It's the motor that gets them warm. You can use Kool Lube to instantly cool them off or have an extra set of blades ready.

WillowFields

Cavy Slave
I have a small mini clipper I use on my dogs if they need a quick clip sometimes, it's a Wahl brand one. It's supposed to be a mini one for touch ups before a show or something, I just use it on my puppies here and there. It comes with two blades and clipper oil.

soopermum62

Cavy Slave
I used (broken link removed) to clip my Persian's & Maine Coon Cat's belly and sensitive areas when they get/got knots. It is small, and I have had them 10 plus years! I still haven't changed blades. I also use it to trim hair on my dogs paw pads and other sensitive areas and behind their ears. My main set of clippers is the (broken link removed). I use these for a full body clips on my dogs and Madison my Maine Coon Cat. (she does not like to be combed) and she gets too hot in the summer, so I shave her. She loves it! If I needed to trim my piggies, I would use the smaller ones because they DON'T get hot. The Andis clipper blades will get hot if you don't keep the blades clean and enough oil on them.

Gosh I am having trouble with links this week... Trying this again.(broken link removed)

piggiepigpigs75

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.