Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sick after surgery

clairebear123

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig had surgery to remove a tumour yesterday and she has come home today. We were told to give here antibiotics once a day for 7 days. Today i let her settle in and then gave her the antibiotics after a few hours but seconds after i gave it to her she was sick. I hate phoning the vet to ask questions as i feel like im annoying them. Will it be ok to leave her for the night and try giving her antibiotics in the morning?

How do you know that she was sick? What was she doing?

I don't think you'd annoy your vet by asking questions. To me, it shows that you're concerned about your pet and you want her to get well.

I mean sick as in she physical threw up. I noticed when i took the syringe out of her mouth and there was a lot of brown liquid from her being sick. Could it just be a reaction to the first set of antibiotics. She is eating so should she be ok until the morning as vets are now closed?

It isn't possible for guinea pigs to vomit. Could the brown liquid just be from food that she had been eating?

If she's her normal self, eating, drinking and is active and whatever else she likes to do, then I would think she'd be fine if you waited until morning. Just keep an eye on her, though. If she starts acting unusual then take her in or call, just to be on the safe side.

Ok i have no idea what it could be the. She had mainly been eating hay today and her antibiotcs was clear :/ Its hard to tell if shes normal as where she has just had an op she is being lazy which i guess is good as her stitches need to time to heal. Having a good munch at her fav veg though which is good. I might just be having a little panic as i want her to get better

If she's eating and drinking well, then I'd assume that she's fine. It was probably just some food and/or hay residue. With the lying around, that's understandable because she just had surgery. Does she look sick when she lies around? Does she fluff up her fur and/or sit in a hunched position?

Call the vet. You are not annoying him. That is what he is there for

to be honest she looks fairly relaxed its just unusual when your used to them squeeking when you walk in the room. She might be missing her sister aswell as they have had to be seperated ( the other guinea pig does not like me at the mo because i took her sister away :/ ) I guess i have been lucky enough that none of my pets have had an operation before so i am new to it all.

If it will ease your mind call. If not wat h her for anything that is not normal. Make sure she is eating drinking and pooing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.