Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay To cube or not to cube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavylier

Cavy Slave
Switch to all grass and supplement it with hay cubes if you feel the need.
I feed my pigs 100% fresh grass as the hay available in my country was very dusty and terrible (caused URI-like conditions in the piggies for a while). I still keep some of it in their litter tray (after having sunned it and repacked only the larger bits into the bag) but they much prefer the grass.

Grass has more Vitamin C in it so it is most certainly much better for pigs than hay cubes.

As for long-strand grass hay/ fresh grass - it has to be available at all times in unlimited amounts so that their teeth get ground down well. Even if they have chew toys, it only takes care of their front teeth and not the ones at the back of their mouths. Grass hays grind against all those teeth.

Hard pellets are just that - hard. They can be chewed into a pulp and swallowed like a biscuit but grass hays will work on the teeth somewhat like sandpaper.

I would say that you could grow acceptable grasses in your yard (timothy, bluegrass, etc.) so that you can just cut off bunches with a pair of scissors and feed them to the pigs unlimitedly. Wheat grass can be grown and can also be given in unlimited amounts but it's not a grass hay; it's a grain hay and should not be their primary source of forage. You would be much better off with a grass hay.

Cavylier

Cavy Slave
Grain hays were mentioned in the past - here
Types of hay have been discussed - here

Didn't want to sound like a know-it-all without any references! ;)

The second thread linked has a very good post about what types of hays are suitable.

EDIT: A post by Ly&Pigs here says that grain hays might be harder to digest than grass hays. Never knew that before!

LithiumRiot

Cavy Slave
The problem with that idea is they need access to hay 24/7 like you said and not just a for an hour or if some one is will to wait out side with them. I know theres only so much you can do when you have severe allergies. But the truth is that not giving them proper access to real long strand loose hay is going to in the long run be a huge detrimental and unnecessary risk to their health.

But wouldn't some hay be better than none? I mean, i wouldn't completely dismiss the idea. Allergies are something that has to be worked around. This isn't a complete solution but better than nothing, correct?

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
But wouldn't some hay be better than none? I mean, i wouldn't completely dismiss the idea. Allergies are something that has to be worked around. This isn't a complete solution but better than nothing, correct?

They shouldn't have to suffer not having any long strand hay or long strand grass, it is something they need.

LithiumRiot

Cavy Slave
They shouldn't have to suffer not having any long strand hay or long strand grass, it is something they need.

And the owner of the pigs shouldn't have to give up her pigs cause of allergies, or have a terrible allergic reaction giving it to them. Lets hope that another type of long strand grass wont cause a reaction.

lissie

Cavy Slave
If you could feed unlimited fresh grass, that's fine to replace hay. You'll need to start slowly though, as they can get upset stomach from eating too much all at once.
To produce enough grass for unlimited consumption, you would probably need a really big field.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
And the owner of the pigs shouldn't have to give up her pigs cause of allergies, or have a terrible allergic reaction giving it to them. Lets hope that another type of long strand grass wont cause a reaction.

We choose to have them, they never choose us.
They should NEVER have to suffer because of the owner's economics or in this case allergies.
The responsible thing to do is to put the animals well-being first, and that might mean rehoming. And honestly for the health of the owner as well if the allergies are that severe.

GuineaPigPerson

Cavy Slave
I don't think the idea was for them to live in a hutch, that would be quite dangerous for the poor piggies. I think the idea was for them to be out there, with someone who isn't allergic to hay for a few hours so they can consume some hay. Although it wouldn't be unlimited hay, it would be better than none.

That's what I meant. I didn't mean living outside my post clearly stated that.

Status
Not open for further replies.