Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Worried about antibiotic "Convenia"

SarahPiggles

Cavy Slave
Pixie got a cut on her lip somehow, possibly a bite but they don't fight so I really don't know how it happened. The cut goes inside her mouth a bit and looked a bit nasty so I took her to the vets (seems like it has pus in it). I hadn't used this vets but went with high hopes as it said they had special interest and experience in treating guinea pigs and rabbits on their website.

The vet injected Pixie with an antibiotic called Convenia. Me being me as soon as I got home I felt I had to research it and I'm worried about some of the things I've read. Some sites says it shouldn't be given to guinea pigs, that it is strong and long lasting. I'm worried about Pixie even though she still seems fine so far (got back about an hour ago). I was concerned about probiotics so followed guinea lynx's advice and syringed her a mushed up poo from Sprite.

Has anyone had experience with this antibiotic before? Is there anything else I can do if she goes off her food/gets soft poops etc.? Or if your piggies have had a bad reaction from any antibiotic and you did something to help the situation please let me know.

Probably over-worrying but I can't help it I am very wary of vets and guinea pigs :(

SarahPiggles

Cavy Slave
Please could someone reply? Or I could make a new thread... :S
Pixie has gone downhill today - its like my worst fears about the antibiotic confirmed, we are trying to get hold of some oxbow critical care... I don't really know what to do because I've never been in this situation before and would love to talk to someone who has...

I have tried syringing her pellets but shes not having any of it and I just want to help her.. :'(

- Sarah

SarahPiggles

Cavy Slave
Please could someone reply? Or I could make a new thread... :S<br>Pixie has gone downhill today - its like my worst fears about the antibiotic confirmed, we are trying to get hold of some oxbow critical care... I don't really know what to do because I've never been in this situation before and would love to talk to someone who has...<br><br>I have tried syringing her pellets but shes not having any of it and I just want to help her.. :'(<br><br>- Sarah

SarahPiggles

Cavy Slave
Pixie still reluctant to eat though had a bit of hay, lettuce, grass and spinach. Got some supreme science recovery stuff from the vets today, they said bring her in tomorrow if still not better. Vet said they didn't use baytril because it has to be given in drinking water? :S

Does anyone have advice on syringe feeding? She just squirms away and has only had about 2ml! :( She hates the stuff and other pigs won't touch it either so it can't be too nice. Ordered critical care and hoping it arrives soon...

Please reply xxxxx

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry I didn't see this thread earlier -- don't know how I missed it.

You're right to be worried about Convenia -- a lot of adverse reactions in dogs and cats have been reported.

How is she this morning?

If she's up to it, you need to be syringe-feeding her -- see www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html for information on how to do it. She needs 60 cc. per day if she's not eating anything else.

You can get Critter Be Better from a pet store, or you can make a slurry out of pellets -- grind them in a food processor and add unflavored pedialyte as the liquid. Give some Bene-Bac a couple of hours after feeding, although probiotics aren't as helpful with an injected A/B as they are with one given orally.

SarahPiggles

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much for getting back to me :) I just fed what i thought was a fair bit of the recovery stuff from the vets, but probably actually only 5ml :/ But afterwards when I put her back in the cage she was munching on some hay yay! She also pooped a bit, they are small hard and light coloured.. I don't know what that might mean?

I have never heard of pedialyte :S Bene bac seems to be only available in the US... I think I was reading about people adding juice to make the mushy feed taste nicer? Hoping Critical care will arrive tomorrow.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.