Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression My guinea pigs have fallen out

chester

Cavy Slave
I have two male guinea pigs. One is about 7 months and the other is a year and 8 months old. We introduced the younger one to the older in neutral territory etc. and they have always got on really well. They shared a house because when we initially put them in separate ones, they relentlessly tried to escape to see each other, and since then they have followed each other about all day, snuggled up together, shared food etc with no problems apart from some general rumblestrutting and normal behaviour. Then, last night while they were both roaming about the living room, the younger one began to chatter his teeth at the older one, puffed himself out and chased him around for a while. The older one didn't respond and we just ignored it. When we put them back into their house though, they began showing their teeth to each other, continued both teeth chattering and quickly began to attack each other, with the younger taking chunks of the older one's hair. We put them in separate houses next to each other overnight and they were fine, though seem quite sad, but as soon as they see each other, even in neutral territory, they just teeth chatter without stopping and ignore or chase each other.

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm worried that they won't be friends again and we'll have to keep them separate from now on, but the older one loves spending time with the younger one and I don't want him to be lonely if they can't even go near each other without fighting.

GuineaPigPerson

Cavy Slave
This happened to me, this page is useful.
Guinea Pigs Social Life
But mine still huff at each other but no more full out fighting (there was a few I unfortunately wasn't home for or I had to run and stop them). They are in about a 9.5-10 square foot enclosure until my C&C cage comes in which is 13 square feet....now that I think about it I should've gotten a jumbo 16 foot cage for them to stop fighting. But wash everything and all surfaces with vinegar and water just clean everything! Then give the pigs a bath together for bonding and make sure to blow dry them well and together. Then put them in the new smelling cage, make sure to rearrange things.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
How big is your cage? Cage size has a lot to do with how well guinea pigs get along.

chester

Cavy Slave
How big is your cage? Cage size has a lot to do with how well guinea pigs get along.

It's 16 feet. We have had them separated for two days now, but kept their cages next to each other. When we let them out in the living room together, however, they are still being very aggressive to each other, won't go near each other and when they do, they properly attack each other. I don't understand how they can be like that in neutral territory and I'm worried that it will be a permanent thing now, and I don't know if I should continue to let them out together at all?

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
One thing I suggest not to do is put them together, then separate them, then put them together again etc. This will only cause stress for both of your guinea pigs and make them more likely not to be friends. If you try the introductions again only separate them if A blood has been drawn or B one guinea pig will not stop chasing the other guinea pig, and is being a bully ( not letting the other piggy eat or drink etc) other than that they are just sorting out their dominance, things should settle down and they will most likely be friends again soon.

LitaRutherford

Cavy Slave
When I introduced Bear, a 2yr old boar to Porcupine and Odair, my 5mo old boars, Odair was scared at first and soon turned into a puff ball of anger. Bear lost a good few chunks of hair. But i left them alone to work it out and now they are best friends. It took a few days to calm down totally but they are all a happy trio minus the normal arguement or two. Porcupine and Odair, who have been together their whole lives, even started fly attacking eachother when out for floor time, but that also stopped on its own. So hair chucks pulled out isnt nessisarily a horrible thing. It just looks bad.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
16 square feet?

Yes, don't put them together unless you plan on leaving them together, each time you do so makes it harder to get along.

I recommend putting them back into their big cage and leaving them alone.

Make sure there are two water bottles and two food dishes at opposite ends of the cage. Make sure you take out any house with only one entrance, use tunnels and boxes instead.

sugarbunnies

Cavy Slave
I came searching for help in the exact same problem. My guineas are fighting too :( I'm going to post about it here shortly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.