Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cubes from C&C Cage, Size Issue

llw1206

Cavy Slave
I'm in the process of building a C&C cage for my two new guinea pigs. They are not fully grown, but not babies either. From experience, I'd estimate they are about 80% of their full-grown size.

I have a bunch of cubes already. They are standard 14"x14" with 9x9 squares. Until I finish the cage (waiting on coroplast, Home Depot had to order it), they are not staying in it. I was giving them floor time yesterday and I was using the spare panels to create a barrier between the pigs and some electric wires I have in that room. I startled the guinea pig and he ran toward the barrier and slipped through the grids with no problems. Luckily, he's okay, but I'm now very reluctant to make a C&C cage because I know as they grow their heads will still be small enough to fit through but their bodies will not. How can I give them a big enough cage without using the grids?

I would be very appreciative of any suggestions.

lissie

Cavy Slave
How old are your pigs? Babyproofing is recommended until they are at least 6 months old.

You could use wire closet shelf.

Or stagger the grids to babyproof.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Tall cardboard sides also work well to baby proof, I was in this same situation when I got my first baby pig, I didn't even think about the fact that she was too young to be in a C&C without baby proofing, so before I introduced her and her mom to Phoenix and Godric, I had to baby proof my whole cage, here is what it looks like to give you an idea on how to do it. Just attach it with zip ties to the sides of the grids.
WP_000318.jpg

llw1206

Cavy Slave
Thank you both so much for your suggestions, both were great. Do I need to worry about them eating the cardboard?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.