Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi from a rescue in South Africa

CrazyCavies

Cavy Slave
Hi Everyone,
I run a guinea pig rescue in Pretoria, South Africa. I've been lurking on the forums for quite some time but really feel that I need some support of fellow piggy lovers at this time.

I started the rescue beginning of last year, there simply isn't such a thing in this country for guinea pigs and i felt that since I had the space, resources and passion for the fluffies that I owed it to them. Rescues have been rather "slow", guinea pigs are not particularly popular pets here, and they are greatly seen as "disposable" farm pets (I'm sure they are everywhere, though). People don't even bother looking for a rescue if they need to rehome them.

Any way, I adopted 4 girls to a lady last year, I met her through dog rescue circles, chatted with her for a long time regarding guinea pig care, did a home check and she signed an adoption agreement, that amongst other things stated that she would keep her guinea pigs housed indoors (it gets VERY hot) and she would not breed with them... On friday, nearly a year after I dropped them off with her I received an email from her stating that her landlord was throwing a hissy fit, the guinea pigs she adopted from me have "had a lot of babies" and have destroyed the garden :mad: and she doesn't know what to do with all of them.

I was so horrified, nothing like this has ever happened to me or any of my rescues, I was literally in tears so my husband had to call her. It turned out that there are now 20 guinea pigs, whom I have confiscated from her. I have been fortunate in that several of the friends I have made through the rescue are able to help me with fostering as my home limit is actually 15 and I already have 10 piggies with me. She had gotten a male, for who knows what reason, plonked them in her courtyard outside and allowed them to breed non-stop for nearly 6 months. The 4 original girls she got from me are so heavily pregnant I can see the babies kicking. They will stay with me at least until the babies are weaned.

The situation has been managed, but I am just seriously taken aback by how someone can be so stupid and irresponsible. Not only are the original mommies likely older than a year so the risk of their pregnancies are huge, but little baby girls who are hardly big enough to be weaned are likely pregnant as well >( and now we're sitting with a countless number of pigs needing homes as well!

So yeah, that's my story at the moment...

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Ugh! Welcome to the forum, feel free to vent any time :). Hope it turns out well. Sounds like she was very careless and reckless. Sorry to hear it turned out this way.

Can I ask if you do any educational classes at schools or pet stores or anything? Just curious.

CrazyCavies

Cavy Slave
I attend the yearly pet show ((broken link removed)) and have gone to flea market type events as far as possible. As far as going to schools, although I would love to and have considered it, it is a bit difficult with working to go to schools.

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Yeah work stinks :D. Thank you, btw, for making a difference and being a rescue. Do you have a web site for your rescue?

CrazyCavies

Cavy Slave
Do, it still needs some work though but your welcome to take a look: (broken link removed)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! You should PM the user Gizzyandme -- she's also in South Africa and has some interesting guinea pig stories to tell. I'm sure she'd love to find another responsible GP owner.

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Nice start on the site. Again welcome to the forums :cheerful:

kittymalone

Cavy Slave
Maybe you could contact a local vet and find out if they would give you discounts on spay or neuter for the pigs you are going to adopt out. That way you'll know that irresponsible people can't breed them. I know a woman here in the states that runs a ferret rescue and she gets discounts on vet care because she runs a rescue. She also gets huge discounts on food and supplies for them, so that's an idea too. Maybe you can also attach a care sheet with them when they go to new homes with links to guinea pig care websites and vet information. Good luck! You are doing a wonderful thing!

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
Hey there. Sorry this happened. I know how hard it can be to run a rescue, but it looks like you're off to a great start with the website. Do you do follow-up visits after adopting? Maybe you could have caught this woman before it got so far. I hope the rest of the piggies do OK with their litters. Keep us updated!

Riot101

Cavy Slave
Hey there...Welcome! I'm from Gauteng too, and also want to start a rescue centre for Piggies! I currently have 4 of my own, but would really love to help out! How did you get started and where do you house your Piggies?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.