Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing Dry bath shampoo

Gabbels

Cavy Slave
Hi, the pigs are 3 and a half months old! they grow up too fast don't they! Anyways, they are due for a bath. Don't worry, they don't stink or anything.

I really don't like giving gunea pigs baths and Pippa and Poppa have just gotten used to me. At the pet store, I say I product by Aristo pet and it is called Bunny Dri bath shampoo. I thought that using this would be very handy and convienient. But is it safe? Here is a rough description: (broken link removed)

Anyone used this product before? Does it work?

Thanks guys! :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't know anything about whether your dry shampoo is safe for guinea pigs, but I dislike dry shampoos in general because of the possible danger of inhaling the powder.

Why do you think your GPs need a bath? Some pigs get baths only once a year or so, unless they've gotten dirty. And if they have, a butt bath may suffice, or wiping them off with a warm washcloth.

Giving Pippa and Poppa a bath isn't going to turn them against you forever! If you do bathe them, by the time you get them properly dried off and give them a treat, all will be forgiven. You can use a kitten shampoo if you can't find one specifically for guinea pigs.

P.S. My two actually like baths.

GuineaTiel

Cavy Slave
I don't know if that works either but I give my boys a bath monthly (usually just a butt bath) and I think it brings us closer in a weird way.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Incredibly drying ingredients, I wouldn't use it on my own scalp & much less my guinea pigs. You need a sulfate free, paraffin & silicone free mild cleanser with low amounts of alcohol as preservatives only.

Just get it over with. :)

faye_arv

Cavy Slave
Can we use baby soap or dish washing soap?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Definitely not dishwashing soap, unless you're trying to clean an incredibly gunky grease gland, and then Dawn is used by some owners.

Baby shampoo isn't recommended. Can you not get kitten shampoo there? Or online somewhere?

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Dish washing soap is also really harsh & drying, and could cause serious skin irritation. It should never be used on an animal, just like you wouldn't wash a baby with it.

Again, avoid harsh SLS (Sodium Laureth/Lauryl sulfate), parrafin (paraffinum liquidum) and silicones (things ending with "cone").
Some baby shampoos are alright IF they are SLS free, but you do need to check the ingredients & make sure it's really mild.

EDIT:
"Jessicurl Hair cleansing cream" is one of the very few human shampoos I would use on my pigs. But the ones marked for guinea pigs are often even harsher. You generally need to be able to understand the ingredients to be able to rule out what's safe & what isn't, just like with children.

Last edited:

Gabbels

Cavy Slave
Wow thanks so much guys! I haven't bought the powder stuff yet because I wouldn't want to waste money on what I now know is a very questionable product. Definately wont be buying this. Wiping with a damp cloth sounds good as well as but baths. Now that I think of it, they probably don't need a bath... yet.
:cheerful:

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
I too was scared of giving them a bath, due to vet telling me that it could be stressful for them. I only did it one time when I was trying to get them to bond(2 boars). It worked and they loved the hair dryer, which I should've guessed because the love the vacuum cleaner. Silly little piggies! I agree that you shouldn't do it unless absolutely nessary and read up on it first.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.