Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Guinea Pigs and Hamsters

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
This is the closest this I have to a hamster..
Guinea Pigs and Hamsters

I had 5 gerbils, but now I only have 4. Sadly the one Im holding died. He was my favorit. My gerbil had babies and I kept him. he had to have one of his legs amputated so he only had 3 legs. His name was Stubie. I miss him. (sorry got off subject there)
I wonder how much hamster and gerbils are alike?
I'd like to get me a hammie.

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
Because people charge so much they have to pay good. I work as a receptionist and make over $26 an hour. I don't know about you but that is alot o money to just sit here and answer phones and open the door. I only work part time though but I live with my parents so I can afford whatever I want.

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
$26 is good pay! Thats great :) I dont work but my husband does. Hes in the military so we get payed pretty good. Plus, they pay for our housing and everything so we dont have a lot of bills.
Im gunna start looking around for a hammie :cheerful:

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
Dont gerbils look like mice?

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
Yesterday I went to look at the hamsters and it was this adorable little dwarf hamster that was running around in circles in the cage and spinning around and putting its paws up on the glass and then he would fall on his back and tey to roll over. I was just standing there laughing my head off. He was the cutest thing I had ever seen. I said to the pet store manager that I think he wants a wheel. I ended up picking a cute little syrian that is white with black and brown dots going down the center of its back. I was just wondering if you all would pick a hamster because of its beauty or because of its energy level? I dont really want one thats gonna sleep all day but I wanted one that has a nice coat and was a little bigger. I am not sure what to do.

lemonham

Cavy Slave
You should choose the one that you like the most. I have tend to like Syrians more because of their calmer nature. You can train them to sit nicely in your hand and I really like that. Dwarf hamsters are definitely more energy so expect that they might be difficult to train to sit still for you. It's all about what you want out of a pet.

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
I want something that is going to be fun to watch and with energy.

Keekers

Cavy Slave
Hamsters are great pets! You should never let them be in the same cage with your pigs or let them interact though. They're totally different species and someone will get hurt. I made a bad choice and bought a robo ham from a pet store a while ago; if i want any more, i'm adopting. Here's my Roborovski Hamster, Stanley!
Guinea Pigs and Hamsters

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
I like the bigger hamsters, but its a personal opinion. I tend to pick things for looks rather than personality which I dont think is a good thing but I cant help myself.

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
I like the bigger hamsters, but its a personal opinion. I tend to pick things for looks rather than personality which I dont think is a good thing but I cant help myself.

I have the same problem with picking an animal because its cute instead of its personality. I do the oposite with people though. You are a cuteness addict like me.

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
@ Keekers - Thanks for the info. I had no intention of putting them together. I thought I would let them meet but was a bit worried they may not like eachother. In my country I have no choice but to get one from a pet store as those are the only places that have them, unfortunetly. Most likely I will be getting a Syrian, I think its a roan.

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
Hey all. I got my hamster today. I dont know if its a girl or a boy and I still havent decided on a name so for now its name is Hammy. I tried to take a good pic but it wont really keep still so this is all for now. If you have any suggestions on a name dont hesitate to tell me. Thanks
Guinea Pigs and Hamsters

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
Its too bad you didn't hold out for one to adopt from someone. If there is a place that sells hamsters i guarantee you that there will be ones that need a good home, whether it be because the kid lost interest, one had babies, or someone was allergic etc.

Name theme going along with his black n white colouring: Pinto, Tuxedo, Dapple, Junior Mint, Panda, and Checkers.

skinnyguineaus

Cavy Slave
have you guys ever heard of a hairless hamster? I am SO interested in getting one...Guinea Pigs and Hamsters SOOOOO Cute!!!!

skinnyguineaus

Cavy Slave
PS: The uglier the cutter it is for me :) I am addicted to anything different!

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
Its too bad you didn't hold out for one to adopt from someone. If there is a place that sells hamsters i guarantee you that there will be ones that need a good home, whether it be because the kid lost interest, one had babies, or someone was allergic etc.

Name theme going along with his black n white colouring: Pinto, Tuxedo, Dapple, Junior Mint, Panda, and Checkers.

I like the name Panda. I had placed an ad saying that I was looking but no one replied. I really liked this hamster so sorry. I was told that she is a girl. Most tortoiseshell syrians are females and she doesnt have testicles so I will say that is correct. She doesnt really need a girl name though as Im sure she wont really care what I call her. Its not like she is a human and would have gender identity confusion. So boy and girl names are welcomed.

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
@ skinnypiggies - I have heard of them while researching types of hamsters but have never seen one.

skinnyguineaus

Cavy Slave
Thanks! Site under construction but i will keep looking for it :)

How about MABLE? Such a cute girl name . AWWWW she is SO cute

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
I like the name Panda. I had placed an ad saying that I was looking but no one replied. I really liked this hamster so sorry. I was told that she is a girl. Most tortoiseshell syrians are females and she doesnt have testicles so I will say that is correct. She doesnt really need a girl name though as Im sure she wont really care what I call her. Its not like she is a human and would have gender identity confusion. So boy and girl names are welcomed.

Whats done is done. She is cute. How would you feel about a name in a different language, say french or italian? Something translated. IE Noir (french for black) Just something different from the run of the mill "Oreo"

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
I speak spanish so I am actually looking through my dictionary for a nice name now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.