Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet few questions on different food

cavycuddler91

Cavy Slave
I have a few questions regarding food. Now for peas, is it the actual pea or is it the pea pod? Same with green beans? And I read it somewhere on this forum that they can have corn on the cob is this true? And how much? I was also wondering if any of you plant your own herbs or vegetables? If so, what kind? Lemon grass? Any flower pedals?

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Have you checked out the veggie charts? It answers a lot of your questions: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...g-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html.

I've given green beans and pea pods, and I don't remove the peas or take apart the beans in any way. As for corn on the cob, I've heard it's rather fattening and is more of a treat.

We have our own garden for the family, but we added a few plants just for the pigs. We have parsley, basil, cilantro, squash, cucumber, bell pepper, strawberries, watermelon, and tomatoes. I've also done wheatgrass in a pan before. For some reason I always kill wheatgrass, though, so it hasn't work out too well. You can feed a variety of forages, which are also listed on those charts.

If you're not sure if it's safe to feed, stay on the safe side and don't feed it! Check the veggie charts first and stick to low calcium, high Vitamin C vegetables, but remember that variety is absolutely key!

Good luck!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
There are some edible flowers but which ones they are escape me at the moment. You can always do a forum search.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.