Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Begging

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
Hey all. My girls Chloe and Sheila have started doing this cute little trick and I was wondering if anybody elses piggies do this. When I bring them their lettuce I notice that they are now standing up on their hind legs and squeaking at me. It's like their doing that to get my attention. I think these guinea pigs are very good manipulators. Its like they know exactly what to do to get what they want. I think im being used, but to tell you the truth, I dont mind. If it was a man using me I would be like hell no but I dont mind being used by my piggies. Does anybody else's guinea pigs stand up and beg or do anything else cute that draws your attention?

karwask

Cavy Slave
My Gals, Charlotte and BJ totally do that all the time. We are all still getting used to our lives together as they have only been here for under 2 months and it's great that they are getting to know the sounds of the fridge and rattling bags and that often means food. That makes them squeak and squeal and, by the time I'm at their enclosure they are often standing up with happy expectation. I'm certainly not the expert here but it sure looks like a good thing to me.

cheers

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
My piggies beg like that. Sometimes it gets them food I never planned on giving them!

Maggie is especially good at this. She will do anything for food. I mean she would crawl into a lions mouth for food.

Maggie also know how to "give kisses" for food. When you have her out of the cage you can make kissing noises and she will run up and shove her face all up in yours and bop her nose against your mouth.

She is no sucker though, when she is out of the cage and you don't plan on doing "kisses" sometimes she will run up anyway and bop and bop and bop and smother your face with whiskers and nostrils and eyeballs until she gets some nummies! She didn't learn that trick to be someones amusing little puppet! We became treat giving puppets when she decides to perform her trick!

Pandora4co

Cavy Slave
My guys do this too sometimes. Infact, Piglet will get so excited sometimes he rears up too much and sort of falls back and over on his rump. He doesn't seem to care, he just rolls over and is right back up on his hind legs begging some more! lol

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
That must be so funny to watch. Well, my girls are officially trained. Before I used to have to hold the lettuce above their heads and tell them to stand up but now they automatically stand up as soon as they see me come upstairs with the tray. Does that mean that they are used to me and happy with their life? I really hope so because I do try as hard as I can to make them completely happy. I may not have alot of money to get them the best fleece blankets or a plethora of different fruits and veggies but they get the basics. Romaine lettuce, the purple lettuce (not sure of the name, I think its Radiccio), belgium endives, baby carrots, yellow and green and sometimes orange bell peppers and the occasional fruit. Endless amounts of orchard grass and timothy hay and pellets (maybe not the best brand but they not complaining). I guess that counts as being a good piggie mother; wanting to do the best for them even though you cannot exactly afford it. I would go and buy them some new fleece blankets before I would get a new outfit for myself, I think that def counts as being a good mom. I'm not trying to sound like I am better than anyone else, I am just very happy to make my girls happy. They are the best thing to happen in my life, well that and my husband. Proud piggy parent. I wanna change my username

Ammy&Stevie

Cavy Slave
Hehe! I trained one of my girls to do that, now she does it all the time!

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
I would like to teach them other tricks, but I'm not sure where to start. I would like to teach them to do a circle, give me their paw and follow me. Does anybody know to teach them to do any of those?

Ammy&Stevie

Cavy Slave
I would like to teach them other tricks, but I'm not sure where to start. I would like to teach them to do a circle, give me their paw and follow me. Does anybody know to teach them to do any of those?
I taught one of my other girls to circle with treats.
I started by basically just getting her to follow the treat (not very hard if they want it!)
- next I would say 'Circle!' and try to lead her in a circle with the treat. SHe would get about halfway before loosing interest, but I would give her a peice of the treat before she did.
- slowly she started getting what 'circle' ment and wouldn't need my help to lead her around!
Hope this helps!! Just needs a little patience and a hungry piggy! :)

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the advice. Can I do that with my youngest piggie that I have had for about 1 1/2 months or just the one I have had for a year? By the way Ammy&Stevie, the guinea pig on your avatar is beautiful, is it your own or one of the ones they have on the site?

Ammy&Stevie

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the advice. Can I do that with my youngest piggie that I have had for about 1 1/2 months or just the one I have had for a year? By the way Ammy&Stevie, the guinea pig on your avatar is beautiful, is it your own or one of the ones they have on the site?
As long as your younger one is used to you I wouldn't see why it would be a problem.
Also, thank you! She is mine :)

jenga122

Cavy Slave
Piggies are very food motivated. If they think they will get a treat out of it I'd be willing to bet they could figure out how to break into my car. Smart little fellas. :)

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I taught one of my other girls to circle with treats.
I started by basically just getting her to follow the treat (not very hard if they want it!)
- next I would say 'Circle!' and try to lead her in a circle with the treat. SHe would get about halfway before loosing interest, but I would give her a peice of the treat before she did.
- slowly she started getting what 'circle' ment and wouldn't need my help to lead her around!
Hope this helps!! Just needs a little patience and a hungry piggy! :)

Hello ! :rolleyes: How long did it take to teach your girls tricks ? Did you teach them "in their cage" or somewhere else ? I am really interested in teaching my girls to do these cute tricks too.....especially now that I have a solid bond with one of my girls, my other girlie isn't really a "people" piggie, but she is-- very smart. Did it take long to for them to learn ?

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
My piggies beg like that. Sometimes it gets them food I never planned on giving them!

Maggie is especially good at this. She will do anything for food. I mean she would crawl into a lions mouth for food.

Maggie also know how to "give kisses" for food. When you have her out of the cage you can make kissing noises and she will run up and shove her face all up in yours and bop her nose against your mouth.

She is no sucker though, when she is out of the cage and you don't plan on doing "kisses" sometimes she will run up anyway and bop and bop and bop and smother your face with whiskers and nostrils and eyeballs until she gets some nummies! She didn't learn that trick to be someones amusing little puppet! We became treat giving puppets when she decides to perform her trick!

Hello there ! Whoa...that is just too awesome. I would LOVE LOVE to teach my girl Buttercup, to do "kisses" with me ! I have tried "asking" for kisses but she doesn't seem to get what I mean...though I sure do kiss up her nose, ears, eyes, cheeks a whole lot ! I haven't really tried very hard though, to teach her, or use food as a motivator. Even my other girl, Cuddles tolerates my "cheek" kisses, if she is in a good mood, I believe she even finds my cheek kisses somewhat..... relaxing, for she gets all calm and her pretty eyes close ( she's an abby) to slits, sometimes.

Roxymarie365

Cavy Slave

I taught my baby guinea pig to do a circle and she was only 3 1/2 weeks old! The more your piggy loves to eat, te easier they are to train. Hope this helps!!! :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.