Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Coco Peat

fridzalone

Cavy Slave
Someone on the net asked me about using coco peat as a bedding for piggies. He said that he also use it for his reptiles, and he tried it on his piggies cage and it absorbs very well (even better than woodshaving). It also made from natural material such as coconut husks, but what I worry the most is what I read from wikipedia : Coco Peat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Trichoderma is a naturally occurring fungus in coco peat; it works in symbiosis with plant roots to protect them from pathogenic fungi such as pythium. It is not present in sterilized coco peat. Trichoderma is also destroyed by hydrogen peroxide."

"Common uses of coco peat include:
- As a substitute for peat, because it is free of bacteria and most fungal spores, and is sustainably produced without the environmental damage caused by peat mining.
- Mixed with sand, compost and fertilizer to make good quality potting soil. Coco peat generally has an acidity in the range of pH - 5.5 to 6.5. It is a little on the acidic side for some plants, but many popular plants can tolerate this pH range.
- As substrate for growing mushrooms, which thrive on the cellulose. Coco peat has high cellulose and lignin content. "

I mean, since it also used for growing mushroom doesn't it means that fungus and another dangerous bacteria and microba could easily grow in coco peat?

Another words to consider is :
"Being a good absorbent, dry coco peat can be used as an oil absorbent on slippery floors. Coco peat is also used as a bedding in animal farms and pet houses to absorb animal waste so the farm is kept clean and dry. Coco peat is hydrophilic unlike sphagnum moss and can quickly reabsorb water even when completely dry. Cocopeat is porous and cannot be overwatered easily."

So is it safe to be used for bedding?

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
No, it woulsn't be good. It's like using peat moss. It looks like it to me. It slips my mind what else is sold as good for guinea pigs. I'll think of it after I leave for work.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Corn Cobs. That's what it's called.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't use it. Seems to me it would have a fast compost time and while possibly being resistant to molds and fungus in and of itself--add some fecal and urine to it and all bets are off. Fecal material and urine are perfect breeding grounds for bacteria, mold and fungus. A porous material will suck up the bio matter like crazy, hold it, and voilà--it is likely to get unhealthy fast as well as break down and make even more of a mess quickly.

I wouldn't put it in any of my animals' homes but I might try it out in my garden.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.