Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK Is this size ok ?

sue54321

Cavy Slave
Hey Everyone :cool:

My partner and I have just finished moving house and haven't got as much space as what we did in our last house but we are in the middle of building wee man a new house/manson.

We where going to do 20inches by 1metre but now need to change it to, 15inches by 1metre and building it three storeys high. Something like this (link removed by mod, add photo as attachment or link from a photo hosting site but please don't link to photos on other forums we are unfamiliar with)

What do you guys think? Its the first time i've made one of these, i've used C+C before but nothing like this. It will be all sealed and water proofed.

Tellme what yous think.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that is a good size!

Thanks, I was worried that it would be too narrow. We where going to adopt another guinea pig (female) after Fleury is neutered.

We would get another male but he doesn't get along with other males, he's bit lonely looking.

What are the dimension of that cage? And how many guinea pigs are you planning to house in it? It looks to be a good size for one pig, possibly two (if female) but too small for any more than that.

Also, guinea pigs aren't much in the way of climbers so three stories might be a bit much for them.

15 inches deep is too narrow. You need at least 24 inches. They need some space to do laps. It would be hard to turn around in the 15 inches.

For those of us who use grids, 15"x1meter is like 1 grid on one side and a little less than 3 grids on the other side.

What are the dimension of that cage? And how many guinea pigs are you planning to house in it? It looks to be a good size for one pig, possibly two (if female) but too small for any more than that.

Also, guinea pigs aren't much in the way of climbers so three stories might be a bit much for them.

It's going to be 16ins by stretching it 1.2metre long.

Yes I only have one guinea pig male and he's being neutured. We where going to get a female friend for him once its done. I never keep more than two guinea pigs at one time. I had one of three storeys before in c+c and it never did any harm.

15 inches deep is too narrow. You need at least 24 inches. They need some space to do laps. It would be hard to turn around in the 15 inches.

For those of us who use grids, 15"x1meter is like 1 grid on one side and a little less than 3 grids on the other side.

Ive tried to look else where in the house and theres not much space (iv moved home), the livingroom is about the only free space we have. I would house him in the shed if it was warm but this is Northern Ireland we are talking about. :eek: Not ideal.

:D

My Partner just suggested buying a fold away table and chairs that can be put into the understairs storage.

so could possibly make it the 24in by 1metre

24 inches by 1.2 metres is 2 feet by 4 feet. 8 square feet is just over the minimum recommended size for one piggie.

You are building a C&C right?? Not the kind of aquarium you linked to?
Because there is no ventilation in these all enclosed ones. You have to think about it. Just to be sure

my partner father is a joiner and yesim building one with perspex one like i seen here, and it will have large holes in it but not enough for the guinea pig to get through or stuck

My partner's father is a joiner and yes im building one with perspex one like the one i seen here in the gallery, and it will have large holes in it but not enough for the guinea pig to get through or stuck.

Sorry double post. Don't know why that happened. Yes we have already drawn it out with my partners father and work around things such as ventilation, water bottle, supporting etc

Make sure there is good ventilation, or else the cage will start to smell fast and very smelly. Why not just build a C&C cage using cubes and coroplast? I love these cages as my two boars live in an L-shaped one!
Just out of curiosity, what is perspex? Is it piggy safe?
For a stand you could always make one out of the grids. Thats what I did and made the stand into a storage unit as well! Works fabulous :)

Make sure there is good ventilation, or else the cage will start to smell fast and very smelly. Why not just build a C&C cage using cubes and coroplast? I love these cages as my two boars live in an L-shaped one!
Just out of curiosity, what is perspex? Is it piggy safe?
For a stand you could always make one out of the grids. Thats what I did and made the stand into a storage unit as well! Works fabulous :)

Hi thanks for the reply.

Yeah it's like pvc clear sheet. This is what we want it to look like (link added) and it will only have two layers like the one shown.
Perspex cage - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

We will be using fleece and I change it every day and I always put two layers in for extra added comfort.

Im not to sure about the c+c cage, I'd love to tho. See my son's now 10 months old, walking and pulling things down. I'm kinda scared he'll get into the guinea pig cage. Obviously I always watch him and what he's doing but you can never be to sure. I think thats the only thing we haven't worked out yet. How to stop J from getting into the cage.:weepy:

We are buying a coffee table and the bottom layer (under the wetproofing and coroplast) will be screwed down. We are picking one up wednesday for £15. The table is 53cm x 120cm.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.