Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth Tooth fell out!

guineapig67

Cavy Slave
My friend had just called me because her pig Cheddar had just lost a tooth and the other one is wiggly. She is very worried. Will the tooth grow back? will she have to hand feed him? Any help is needed.

I got a new guinea pig two weeks ago and when I got him one of his tooth was about a third the size of the other. We found out later he has a lack of VitC which could be why his tooth broke.

But anyhow, Guinea pigs teeth grow constantly as you know. So yes the tooth will grow back in time. It took my guys tooth just one week to grow back fully (it could even be before this, but after a week i checked him again and it was fine)
But I did do infomation and it can take up to three weeks. But the thing is yes it will grow back.
The problem is the other teeth may need to be trimmed at a later stage as there is nothing wearing them down, as the missing tooth should be doing this. This is no big deal and easily sorted. Just if you notice the others being long then go to your vet.

You won't have to handfeed more than likely. As long as he is eatting fine. If hes having trouble with pellets you can crush them though it is better to have them munching on the hard food to help wear down the bottom tooth.

Also with the other tooth being loose aswell you may need to get the vet to check out the guinea pig, it could have a gum problem, or even needs more VitC. Do the gums seem red or imflammed?

Oh and if hes not eating all of his veggies during this time you may need to supplement the vitC.

She needs to get him to a vet. Does she have Critical care? He will probably not eat without teeth. It might hurt too.

I had this problem with my pig a few weeks ago. From my experience, there's no need to rush off to the vet and pay the costly bill that goes with it. Bert lost both his top teeth. He couldn't eat hard veggies like carrots for about a week (A nice little diet for him!), but he was fine with eating pellets, hay, and parsley-type veggies.

There could be many reasons as to why he lost his tooth. Vitamin C deficiency is indeed one of them. Were the teeth discolored? What's the pig's diet? If the diet seems deficient in C, the pig will need a diet adjustment and supplementation of C.

He could have fallen and knocked the one tooth out and loosened the other. This would require monitoring, but likely not a vet visit.

He could have a gum infection and require antibiotics. This would definitely require a vet visit.

At any rate, weigh the pig daily. If he starts to lose weight, start handfeeding.

It wouldn't be lack of Vit.C. She feeds him lots of green peppers and veggies full of Vitamin C.

He might have just fell. She doesn't have critical care, but I will tell her to get some. She said she would talk to her mom about going to the vet.

After take care him, she need feed him with dry grass, it's very essencial in a pig diet and specially for pigs teeth.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.